Is Socket 939 backwards compatable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Socket 939 backwards compatable?

I'm looking to start upgrading finally and I want a board thats going to last, but at the same time I can't afford an A64 3800+ anytime soon, looking more at the 3200+ which isn't 939, will it fit?

Square pegs in square holes. 939 socket requires 939 cpu.

Comment

Yep. Socket 940 and 754 A64 aren't going to fit.

Get a socket 939 board and a 3500. It would be under $700 US for both.

Comment

Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
          Yep. Socket 940 and 754 A64 aren't going to fit.

Get a socket 939 board and a 3500. It would be under $700 US for both.
          Haha I can't afford $700 for a CPU and mobo, I'm outta luck I guess, thanks AMD, gone the way of Intel I guess.

Comment

I wouldn't do that...
            How much money do you have? There's a better choice with AMD regardless of what the answer is. Socket 939 isn't that expensive for the price, and is the only option that leaves a good path for upgrades. If you can't get it, than you'll want something that doesn't leave as good of an upgrade path. That might mean getting an Athlon XP and socket A motherboard, or an Athlon 64 and a socket 754 motherboard. Either way you will have better bang-per-buck than with a comparably-priced Intel setup.

But as you want a "board that will last," socket 939 is the only way to go. You could wait for new boards and/or for CPU prices to go down. You should be able to get a CPU + board for under $600 very soon (weeks).
            It's $485 for the A64 3500 and $168 for the A8V Deluxe Wi-Fi at Newegg. That's currently the cheapest option. Well, maybe you could find cheaper at other sites, but not by much.

Comment

Working...
            X