Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are there tests to prove your hyper threading is working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are there tests to prove your hyper threading is working?

ive been working on soft oc'ing my cpu and i was wondering if that would affect hyper threading. I tried running the battle of proxcon test while playing a song on winamp and they both became a stuttering mess...

Looks like you proved it wrong but I think it work better if you were running dual channel DDR to make it perform more optimally.
    I see you have the same MB as me how did you get yours?

Comment

i have dual channel im pretty sure, but i got my mobo buy getting an HP

Comment

Run pcmark02 with HT enabled in bios, then run it again after disabling it in bios.
        CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
        Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
        RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
        GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
        PSU: Thermaltake 500w
        SC: Audigy 2 zs
        LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
        Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
        Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

my stupid bios wont allow me to shut it off , i have absolutely no cpu options

Comment

That is probably due to the fact that it is an OEM pre-built computer.

Comment

one way to test it is to use Folding@Home. You can head over to our forum in the Beer Garden/Distributed Computing section. Just read how to run two different instances. If it works, Hyperthreading is enabled, if it doesn't, well than snap, guess softmodding messed it up. I seriously doubt softmodding your FSB would shut off Hyperthreading, but who knows, 3dfx might make a comeback too :)

Comment

HT is always on unless you disable it, it is not affected by anything else.

Comment

It's funny windows 2000 see's a chip with HT as a dual processor system.
                  If you have 2700 DDR in your setup and it is stock memory it isn't the dual channel stuff the m/b is dual capible but they just put standard pc2700 in it to sell the consumer. I would upgrade to 3200 dual channel DDR for starters.

Comment

Originally posted by shad1097
                    If you have 2700 DDR in your setup and it is stock memory it isn't the dual channel stuff the m/b is dual capible but they just put standard pc2700 in it to sell the consumer. I would upgrade to 3200 dual channel DDR for starters.
                    No memory is "dual channel".

Dual Channel mode is a feature of your motherboard/chipset, not the memory. If you use two sticks of memory, they will run in dual channel mode.

There is nothing different about the memory, and it doesn't matter what speed it is (2700/3200/3500 etc).

Comment

Originally posted by shad1097
                      Don't give faulty info....soul is right, and any ddr would work in dual channel except for ddr266, well atleast i modules i had. :cheers:

Comment

266 still works in DC...

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
                          Don't give faulty info....soul is right, and any ddr would work in dual channel except for ddr266, well atleast i modules i had. :cheers:
                          Yea, i figured that, thats why i said atleast my modules that i had. :)

Comment

Working...
                          X