foam hsf supports on cpu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foam hsf supports on cpu?

I have been swapping out the same CPU for quite some time on different motherboards and with different heatsinks, and the last time i swapped it out the little circular foam thingies were sorta falling apart, they are slowly deteriorating i guess probably just from being swapped so much. One of them is almost gone. So as for my question, is this a problem? do i need to purchase a shim? Or should it still be ok without them in good condition?

lol, i told you it was a dumb question.: party ha

The black O things on a random cpu picture i found online.

it's not a dumb question, although I would appreciate some more thought in the thread title next time :)

they are they to help balance out the HSF, as you seem to have already figured out. I doubt they are really nesesaary it you place the HSF correctly. Although if they are starting to wear out, a shim may not be a bad idea. But now that I think about it, i don't recall seeing anything of the sort when I put on a new HSF a couple months ago, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you have problems putting HSF's on.

Comment

Thanks, i diddnt think they mattered much but its better to be safe than sorry. Sorry about the post title, i wasnt thinking. Next time i will be more creative.

:idea:

Hey, while im in the process of asking dumb questions... how do you create spaces in your sig or in the post space? It seems that whenever i post something in these forums with spaces, the spaces are ignored. i know there is a html code for them.. something like &143# or something but it there an easier way? Also, what font are these forums using?

Comment

Actually they are there to keep the HSF balanced on the core as without these the chances of chipping or cracking the core becomes very high. If they deteriorate to far then yes I'd suggest gettin' a shim for it but be sure to get the right shim for your core version as there are now several types available.

Comment

Originally posted by mpetrie
          Hey, while im in the process of asking dumb questions... how do you create spaces in your sig or in the post space? It seems that whenever i post something in these forums with spaces, the spaces are ignored. i know there is a html code for them.. something like &143# or something but it there an easier way? Also, what font are these forums using?
          what do you mean by 'spaces'? can you be a little more specific or use someone's sig as an example? as for the fonts, afaik it is set up to use the system settings. The fonts here change for me depending on which OS I'm using, and they are both set up to use different fonts with the browser.

Comment

Ok, heres an example. im going to hit the spacebar 25 times between two of these "|" lines. But when i post, they will look like they are right next to eachother.

Ready,
            Getset...GO

| |

There are 25 spaces between both lines. But they probably arent showing up. Only about 2 spaces ever show at a time.

Comment

The software that powers this forum will recognise any number of spaces as one only sorry.

Comment

That bites.:o

Comment

Working...
                X