How much Thermal paste?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much Thermal paste?

I was wondering just how much thermal paste you need on a CPU. The one I took off the mobo had a lot of silver compound smeared across the whole top.
    I have seen some with just the center raised portion covered.
    Could the silver short out the little raised thingies on the top of the chip?
    Is this a dumb question? :rolleyes:

go see this site Artic Silver Follow these instructions carefully... for your own good! ;)

Comment

Thanks syx!!

Thats a great page.. Though I don't think the thermal paste I have is Artic Silver. It's silver colored and says it is 10% silver but there is no brand name on the tube. A made in China knock off maybe? I just hope it will do the job.

Again thanks!
      :cheers:

Comment

Arctic Silver 3 is like 99% silver i think...

it should be applied only on the CPU core: "the central raised bit", paper thickness.

:thumb:

Comment

When I removed my cpu it had a load of old compound on the chip as well heh, but I wouldn't worry about shorting out the chip I have never known that to happen.

But to answer your question yes you only need it on the square part in the middle and only a tiny bit which you then spread over so it covers the entire square as a thin even layer.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrysalis
            When I removed my cpu it had a load of old compound on the chip as well heh, but I wouldn't worry about shorting out the chip I have never known that to happen.

But to answer your question yes you only need it on the square part in the middle and only a tiny bit which you then spread over so it covers the entire square as a thin even layer.
            Thermal Paste is conductive so having it accidently spilt between the bridges probably isnt the best idea. :confused:

Comment

Working...
            X