Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epox, T-Bred and XP

Hey all :)

So i am about to upgrade to an Athlon XP 2400+ T-Bred (266) on my Epox 8KHA+. My current winXP install is 4 days old and it would not be inconvinient to install it again, anyways, What should I do in preparation for the new processor, should I uninstall anything? When I get it in should I re-install my 4-in-1's, or DirectX, or maybe my detonators?

I am not willing to sacrifice ANY stability or performance on the method that I choose, so as I said before, I am very willing to simply re-install XP, I only have about 8 hours or so invested into configuration / program installation, so in the long run, its no big deal. And Yes, I am about to update my BIOS again, momentarily.

So basically, what I am asking is there anything at all to gain by re-installing XP right away, and if not, is there anything I should consider doing in preparation? (Load optimized defaults ya-ya got that)

Core Specs:

Epox 8KHA+
    Elsa Gladiac GF2 GTS 32mb
    WD2000JB
    1024 PC2100 (512 Crucial, 512 PNY)
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Netgear FA310TX
    OCZ Gladiator (.57 C/W rating @ Dansdata)

Thoughts, Comments, etc.? Thanks in Advance...

-ps. I've been gone for a while, but I'm back, I have stopped in and read up on current info a few times, but just didn't have time to post. That should be changing soon. Btw, thanks for obscuring the post count. :thumb:

Hmm,

This might be a really stupid question, but I just downloaded the latest 4-in-1's that google helped me find that via arena had availiable, called "VIA_Hyperion 4 IN 1_V446vp6.zip" And as that was on its way down I loaded the epox page, and they host a link to 4-in-1's as well, however, the file is roughly 200 K smaller.

Which is better? What is different? (like I said - I'm a bit rusty)

Comment

The change of processor should cause no heartaches when it comes time to install it. Just make sure that you reset the BIOS (after noting your tweaked settings, of course) so that it will autodetect the new chip.

Your installation of the new BIOS, however, could require a fresh install of the OS. If you're going to install the new BIOS (or have already), then I'd go ahead and just reinstall Windows to make sure that everything is running smoothly. Since you already stated that it won't be that much an inconvenience, then this will help make sure that you have the fewest problems when you start playing with the settings a bit. :)

As to the 4-in-1s, go with the updated set you find at VIA Arena. This is an official site and has the newest drivers that are out. The ones on the EPoX site are likely the ones that were up to date when the board was made... which was quite some time ago.

Good luck and welcome back. :D
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Thanks alot Darth,

One more question.... I can't seem to find the master list of BIOS features, you know what I'm talking about, the master list of updates that they have implemented... Anyone know if the latest 8KHA+ BIOS supports partitions over 137 GB? I can't seem to find it mentioned so I assume it doesn't.

Its not a problem, WD included a Promise Ultra 100 TX2 for the wonderful retail price of 180$, and I need a controller for all my drives anyways, but I was hoping to use this fast new controller in my other comp. (my other controller is Ultra66)

(another dumb question, sorry)

Is there any info that would indicate a 8MB cache WD on the same IDE cable as a 2 MB 7200 ATA100 WD would end up slowing the 8MB drive down? (maybe just burst speed?)

Comment

If the BIOS details don't reflect an update to the 137GB hard drive limit, then it is still in place. I'm not sure that the KT266A chipset can go any higher, but I could be wrong as it has been a long time since I have used it.

As to slaving a 2MB cache drive on the same channel as your WD drive, you'll be throttling the life out of your new toy. The drives will be at a level consistent with the slowest drive on the channel so this setup would slow down the WD. And not just in nurst speeds either. The WD 8MB cache drives are showing higher speeds in even normal tests than their 2MB smaller brothers.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Ok, thanks again. The 2000JB gets its own cable.

Comment

I've got the exact same motherboard, Epox 8khA+, and am also planning to upgrade my Athlon XP processor. I see from information at Epox website that there are two versions of the Bios, Rev. 1.3 (12/10/01) and Rev. 2.0 (9/3/02) and maybe one later than that. I assume I have Rev. 1.3, but am not sure, and the bios downloads at Epox don't seem to be labeled the same way. Each bios allows a different range of compatible cpu's. I'm not sure which download is which, so a little unsure of what my choices are for upgrade. So I'm very interested to hear how your experience goes with it, and any advice you might have.

Comment

What you see at that website are the listing of the maximum processor that a certain BIOS can support.

You can find out which BIOS you are running, by watching closely at the beginning screens each time you boot your machine.

All later BIOS's supercede newer BIOS's, which means, the BIOS revision 2.0 can support and do everything the 1.3 revision can. They keep all the 1.3 features and then just add-on to make the 2.0. And I am fairly sure the ONLY one they make availiable for download is the most recent one. (and the most recent beta, if one exists.... DO NOT install a beta BIOS unless you are aware of and ready to suffer the consequences of potential problems)

Before you update your BIOS make sure you read and understand ALL of the read-me's that come with it. If you mess up the BIOS change, you can render your mobo 100% useless.

Comment

Working...
                X