More from my adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More from my adventure

Okay, here's where I stand. I got a new Enermax case with an Enermax 350w psu. When the machine is together I get keyboard support thru bios - sometimes.... then none at all to boot from CD. Here's the readings from the Health Monitor:

Vdd 1.56
    Vcore 1.63
    Vdimm 2.60
    + 5 V 4.47
    +12 V 12.22
    -12 V -12.69
    - 5 V - 5.35
    VBAT 3.25
    5VSB 5.56

I don't know this hardware stuff, so how are those numbers? Now this is a second psu, not the first one everyone though was bad... with psu tester and a voltmeter, everything seems right. I'm so lost....:shrug:

Ya 5v lines are a bit over the +/-5% recommendation but voltages arn't the only thing as the ampage is another determining value which you'll need a good tester for though the low end Enermax's are known for the probs at times.

Comment

Man, I'm so burnt out on this right now....: omg:

Now it's just random times when I have keyboard support, on 2 boards. Using new cpu, new memory, new psu.

Not much I have left to try. A video card counldn't do this, could it? That's really the only thing that I haven't tested, or know how to.

I don't have much on the system:

Epox 8RDA+ (2 new)
      Enermax 350 psu (new)
      2100+ cpu (new)
      Mushkin 512Mb DDR333 (1 DIMM) (new)
      WD 40Gb SE (Original order)
      ATI Radeon 8500LE AGP 4X 128MB (Original order)

Nothing else hooked up to the board, no USB, Gameport, Firewire...hmmmmm....

Comment

Well 2 x 256MB sticks of memory would be much much better than 1 x 512MB stick but basically what ya have is a high performance setup there and I use 400w+ PSU's for these. Even though the 350w Enermax PSU puts out 185w across the 3.3v&5v rails it's gettin' marginal for this setup (sorry but I use PSU's that deliver 200w across those rails and the 431w Enermax unit provides that). AMD setups are much more critical on these rails than Intel ones are. I use Antec 430w PSU's as a minimum for these sort of systems. Change the mobo for a VIA KT333/400 and ya should be ok with that PSU but if ya stick with that mobo then change the PSU for a higher grade one.

Comment

Okay... So as a case, would an Antec PLUS1080AMG be able to handle this setup?

Comment

Yes that handles mine. :)

Comment

I've been eyeing up an Antec SLK3700AMB lately - it's a couple inches shorter than the plus1080 - but I like the 120mm fan mounting...& it's considerably cheaper than the plus1080 as well

it comes with an 350w Smartpower PS that is spec'd at 230w accross the +3.3 & +5v rails

Comment

It's pretty tight inside. Plus, I have bad feelings from them, from the previous PSU. I know the 1080 is same company, but I have my P4 running in a 1080 and have no problems.

Nice filter system in front of the 3700 as well.:2cents:

Comment

OH MAN! No wonder this system won't work. I finally noticed on the PSU that this Enermax model has a +3.3V, +5V combined max out of 160W BAH : omg:

I didn't notice that before. I'm surprise they sold me that.. *******s...:steam:

But I talked to them today, they're gonna let me return it and get an Antec 1080 with a 420W (I think).

Also, the Antec PSU that was blowing the system is being RMA'ed. A shout out to Denis w/ Antec. Really nice guy, and is just having me send back the PSU (not the whole case) and letting me upgrade to a 400W. :thumb:

So, basically my second system is just short of a HD and CD-ROM :rofl: Plus I'll have an extra 7VAX when that returns. Lemme know if anyone is interested! Cheap or trade! LOL:idea:

Comment

Originally posted by Corbinator
                    It's pretty tight inside. .:2cents:
                    I suppose compared to a full 24 tower it is - but for a mid tower it's huge

I have to put together a couple of P4 3GHz workstations at work next month & I think I'll try out the SLK3700's

I like the idea on a nice quiet 120mm fan blowing on the RAID 0 WD 40GB SE drives :D

I've already got some Vantec 120mm stealth fans on order:thumb:

...I have mixed feelings about Antec too - I have a 350w smart power in my P4 box & I have no complaints - but, I had a 510w Antec for a dual Athlon Tyan MB system - and it was crap, it gave up after less than a week, I'm just glad none of the SCSI's were spinning when it happened - I replaced it with an NMB & it's been fine ever since:rolleyes2

Comment

Picked up a new Antec 1080 with a True430w.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

We's good to go, musta just been suckin too much of that other one dry!

Thanks for all the help!:cheers:

Comment

The thing is that Intel setups arn't so demanding on those 2 rails as AMD setups are.

Comment

Working...
                        X