Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now What?

Alright, now I'm pissed....

The new motherboard is acting the same as the other two!

I'm guessing it's gotta be a bad power supply?

Like we know, I'm new to puttin these together... My P4 was SO much less hassle then this AMD. I hate to break down and take it to a shop... But this is starting to pass my abilities now. Any help or ideas?

I finally got the XP CD from my nephew and I turned on the machine after it had been off for about 1 week, and now.... nothing.... power light comes on everything spins... but no activity.

:tears: TIA

Crap, this was suppose to be attached to this thread:

Sorry!:blah: :drool:

Comment

Does the PSU give ya the combined rating of the 3.3v and 5v rails and what brand and model is it. I only use PSU's that have at least 185w across those 2 rails as anything less will usually have problems.

Comment

So you get no post...it turns on but no post ...right?...

Maybe its the CPU...? Have you tried the CPU on another MOBO?
        - Damien

Comment

Ummmmmmm......... what's that in English Wiggo? :confused:

Sorry I don't know how to test the psu:?: If it's not at the settings you prefer does that mean it could be frying the board, or just not the right power levels to run it correctly?

Flaco - ummm if posting is booting, checking memory, and able to enter the bios, then no. I turn it on and the lights turn on and the fans spin, that's it. I do have a C1 LED code on the board, bad memory I believe. I test the memory in my P4 (same brand, make) and it was fine, and my P4 memory in the 8RDA+, with no change. I don't have another CPU to test it on.... except the other 7VAX which is doing the same thing. But Googlegear said the cpu was okay... soooo.....

Sorry guys, I'm trying to learn this stuff... guess I need to have more patients. :drool::confused:

Comment

Comment

It maybe a bad PSU though it's rated at 230W across the combined 3.3v and 5v rails (which seems unlikely and a rating which I like) but have ya tried to power the setup outside of the case incase the rear I/O plate is causin' a short? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                It maybe a bad PSU though it's rated at 230W across the combined 3.3v and 5v rails (which seems unlikely and a rating which I like) but have ya tried to power the setup outside of the case incase the rear I/O plate is causin' a short? :?:
                No, I have not tried that? Set the mb on cardboard or something and then hook it up? I found an Antec Power Supply tester at Frys Elec. for $13 so I figured it couldn't hurt to get it. Thanks!

Comment

Alright, well now I'm pissed. Whatever the cause of it did fry the memory that it has (not too bad, can get that replaced). Also seems to have fried the second 7VAX, no boot of any kind from that one. The 8RDA+ with a good stick of memory from my computer looks like it may have done some damage. Error 06 - reserved for two boot-ups, and then C5 - Call chipset hook to copy BIOS back to E000 & F000 shadow RAM.............. OHhhhh, I'll get right on that:confused:

I don't think I was meant to build computers.

So now I got 1 bad motherboard, maybe 2 (I think), and a bad stick of memory... and I'm still not sure what caused it. I did get that psu tester and the light came on... big deal, I could tell you it was getting power:snip: The guy at the store said it probably was a psu problem or a short on the board, like you said Wiggo, by the I/O panel. Grrr:grr:

I didn't find any 'burn' marks on anything. This is pissin' me off!

Comment

That can happen even to me so I usually RMA the lot but it is a real prick when it does happen. :(

Comment

That is a real downer especially your first time with AMD. I think its time to RMA.

G'Luck Friend:cheers:
                      - Damien

Comment

Thanks guys, that's what I'm thinking... but now I'm stuck with another dilema. How to RMA it.

My nephew has already paid me $800 for the computer. I could go the route to buy new matching parts build a fresh machine for him, then return the old stuff as the new stuff. but then it's just another computer for me cause it's exchange only not return, and I'm out cash.

Or tell him to wait for however many weeks until I get everything in. The one downer is, what's causing it all. If I don't get a new case then it could happen to all the new stuff... I guess I could RMA everything, but then I'm out in major shipping.

I'm think maybe the first, I'd rather pay more money but get a computer out of it, then pay a bunch and get nothing. ????

I need something to drink.

:barf: :drool:

Thanks guys, you all rock! :group:

Comment

Not a good position to be in and a very hard one to answer. :shrug:

Comment

Alright, here's the outcome.

Went to Frys Electronics at 9am today. Took the case/psu that I thought was faulty. The mother board I bought last night which wouldn't work either. The memory I bought with that board, cause checking the memory is where the board would fail. The old stick of RAM that I though was bad. And the cpu that supposedly Googlegear checked and said it was okay.

6 hours later! I left the store with a replacement motherboard, the other one was fried from the psu pumping out too much power (as per the tech). A new cpu, cause that also got toasted. A new stick of Mushkin 512M DDR333 memory, cause the memory was good, but.....

Kingston 512Mb DDR333 PC2700 is NOT compatable with the Epox 8RDA+

They tested three brand new sticks of it, if a Kingston stick was in the 8RDA+ would not boot.... on TWO boards. :snip: a Mushkin stick fired right up.

I also got a new Enermax case with a 350w psu. I came home and installed the basics, out of the case. BINGO good to go. Installed everything, inside the box...... NO KEYBOARD SUPPORT :steam: Called Frys and talked to the awesome guy that helped me. He says, 'take the Lite-on CD-RW out, it's a cheap piece of @#&^'. And try it again. BINGO keyboard support. He's guessing that got fried as well, and could easily blow the other components, 'get it out of the machine'.

So I now have 1 good 8RDA+ board, 1 bad 7VAX board, 1 bad stick of Kingston 333, 1 Antec 3700 case with a bad psu, 1 bad 2100+, and 1 bad Lite-on CD-RW. This is all extra now.

I still need to buy a CD-RW to put in the machine so I can finish doing the winXP reinstall with the new board.

I'm so burnt out of this, this burnt the crap outta my bank account too... guess I have about 65% of another machine now tho... :cheers:

Thanks again for all the help!!!!: peace2:

Comment

Now that really sux and I feel for ya but this could just as easily have been an Intel setup that it happened so pls don't lay it on the AMD setup and hopefully ya next job will be trouble free.

Comment

Working...
                              X