Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel 845PE chipsets vs SiS 648 chipset

Hello folks,

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between the Intel 845PE chipsets and SiS 648 chipset, the 845PE seems to be more expensive than the SIS 648 based mobos, but at face value the SiS648 based mobos seem to have more features or is there a catch here somewhere... which one would you advice and would both work well with PIV 2.6 and above. Thanks

I'd leave the SiS chipset well alone as I've never had any good experiences with them (maybe if SiS actually made a mobo it would be different). Go with the i845PE based mobo's if ya can't afford a Granite Bay based one.

Comment

Yes sire, point noted... guess SIS aint that good then.... another question... what are the major advantages of the granite bay other than that it supports dual DDR, does Dual DDR make a huge difference.. thanks...

Jinu Johnson

Comment

injinuity,

Listen to Wiggo, he definitely knows what he talking about. I have had awesome results and have been beyond satisfied with my Albatron i845PE board. Check out the Albatron PX845PE Pro II. Its a great board and it doesn't cost a fortune!

-Hawks

Comment

Yes Hawks I think I will get the 845PE chipset based mobo... I'm not too keen on the Albatron based mobo you suggested as it doesnt suport AGP 8X.. so I think I will go with a gigabye one.. thanks ..

Jinu Johnson

Comment

Your eyes won't pick the difference between 4x and 8x plus benchtests don't show a great deal of difference either. Intel's Springdale chipset which is due out soon will have 8x AGP support.

Comment

Hello All, I just wondered Injinuity, which Gigabyte 845PE MoBo supports AGP 8X? I wasn't aware of any 845PE that had this feature. If you can live with AGP 4X, the Abit BH7 might be another board you might want to take a look at as well as the Albatron which from what I've heard is an excellent option for the money.
              Regards, Szandor

Comment

Jinu,

As you can see from my 3DMARK2001 SE benchmarking, the Albatron board isn't holding back my vid card in the least bit. However, if you are partial to boards that support 8X have at it and good luck bro. I personally don't know what the benifits are of having a board that supports 8X... That's where Wiggo comes in, he's the expert.

-Hawks:cheers:

Comment

Hey guys!

What do you think of the 850E chipset. I just ordered a board that supports that. I hear that it is better than the 845E. Although I am not certain, I would go with the 850E boards. The newest Asus board, the P4 G8X deluxe is a good bet. (prob. is the price)

Oh yeah, definately listen to Wiggo. Here at TT we go for wiggo.

My fire is eternally bright,

Chaos:flames:

Comment

That's not an 850E. The 850/E uses RDRAM, which has some pretty high latency problems. That Asus board uses the Granite Bay chipset, which features dual-channel PC2100 DDR support.

Comment

Oh yeah, you are right! That was the Asus P4T533-c MOBO that uses RDRAM. Sorry for my ignorance. I am new at this knda stuff.

Chaos:laugh:

Comment

Basically RDRAM has been dropped from future Intel chipsets and is dead in the water with a hole in the hull (for every day use the price is far to much anyway, here in Aussieland anyway).

Comment

Wiggo,

What is a buddy list? I keep seeing it over here on several forums, but have no idea what it is. Could you explain?

Comment

Go into ya user control panel and ya can use ya buddy list like an email addy list for members in the forums. ;)

Comment

Thnks for all your input guys, I'm planning to but the stuff in only around 2-3 months time, this aint the right time to buy a new rig, I live in Qatar and till this bloody war gets over Im postponing me purchase...

So maybe in around 2 months time the granite bays price may drop a little...

Do you guys know the major advantage of the Granite bay, is it only that it supports Dual DDR.... does Dual DDR make a huge difference in speed.... can you use ordinary DDR or do you have to use diff ram also... and what would be the difference in the ram prices like... thanks a lot guys...

Jinu Johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X