no where else to post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no where else to post

sorry couldn't find where else to post this, anyway i've been looking at some new ram and my board (a7n8x) supports duel channel ram or cl=2 or whatever but the ram i was looking at is cl=2.5 will this still take advantage of the duel channel?

cl2.5 will work jusr fine and is in fact pretty much the standard for DDR. The duel channel feature is part of the mobo and works best with 2 identical sticks of ram installed (if you want 512mb, use 2 256 sticks). The Corsair ram company has recently begun marketing their TwinX ram packs that have 2 sticks of their high performance XMS series ram bundled together that have been tested as a pair. The XMS series ram is cl2. This is a timing setting that offers a performance boost (for a price). The marketing for the TwinX ram has been aimed squarely at mobos with the Nforce2 chipset which is probably where you ran into a ref for cl2. Whether to spend the extra money is up to you.

Comment

is the extra money worth it speed wise, i mean is there a nice speed enhancment in spending the money?

Comment

Originally posted by GamingSniper
        is the extra money worth it speed wise, i mean is there a nice speed enhancment in spending the money?
        CL2 vs. CL2.5 is measurable in bench marks ... but you won't be able to notice it during gameplay, so it come down to what your interested in.

...also chances are very good that CL2 ram will OC higher than CL2.5 ram at comparable timings.

Comment

Can I ask what ram your buying?

Comment

at first i did n't know what ram i was buying but being pointed to the twin xms series caught my attention, so I don't quite know yet at this point i'd say it will be twin xms but looks like i have a bit more research to do.

Also to add on what would you guys suggest getting, is it worth it to go for 1024(512x2) or is 512(256x2) sufficient enough, things i will be running are numerous games (cs, bf1942 mainly) and a little bit of graphics 3dsmax not heavily though..just asking for someones 2cents on this thanks ahead of time:wave:

Comment

In my opinion, 512mb is plenty for running common apps, usually even several at a time. It is also enough for any game right now (and you only run those 1 at a time). More ram can help with rendering, but really only if you mate it with heavy cpu horsepower. In sum, I guess 512 would probably be adequite, but 1gb wouldn't be overkill for your purposes either.

Comment

If you got the money, I'd suggest ya go with a gig of ram... more ram helps out when rendering large scenes in 3ds, maya, l3d, etc.

Comment

Working...
                X