8x AGP MB's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8x AGP MB's

Okay, so I've been doing a ton of research and I can't decide as to which 8x AGP-compatible Pentium 4 motherboard is the best. Help me out! (No RAID's):geek:

Come on now... 12 views and no replies? Gimme some info here

Comment

One of those previous views was mine and I'm probably not alone when I say that I use AMD based motherboards. Since I have been out of the Intel world for about 2 years or so, I don't feel that I'm the right person to ask concerning the current breed of motherboards. While I do keep up with chipset information, I don't bother much with determining which are good and which suck.

Now if you would happen to travel the dark paths of the Athlon, then I would be more than happy to make recommendations for all of your motherboard needs.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

If you really need AGP the only P4 agp8x board I've had any workings with has been the ASUS P4S8X (granted it's got raid onboard)... If you'll settle for AGP 4X, I'd recommend to ya the Albatron PX845PEV Pro (if you don't want that many features), or the PX845PE Pro II if you want some more features.

Comment

Thanks for the help there, guys.

That is the board that I've chosen, after comparing the previously mentioned p4s8x and the g.

Now I propose another question -- this board obviously supports DDR, so what is the best DDR that I can get?

Also, Serial ATA hard drive?

Really appreciate it!

Comment

well, since intel had finally officially supported DDR333, i think that is what you will be able to OFFICIALLY get. I do not know about Intels chipsets and their overclockablity.
            Here is what it says from the specs page of the asus board you were looking at:
            Memory Dual channel memory architecture
            4 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 4GB PC2100/PC1600 ECC/non-ECC DDR SDRAM memory

I am more partial to the nforce2 and AMD processors. The nforce2 is sooo nice!!!! Well hope this helped

Comment

Ya but those specs are just officially supported :) Half the boards out there only officially support DDR333 (amd and intel alike) but they will accept DDR400 memory :)

Comment

I think the nforce chipset officially supports DDR 400. At least that is what is on the what is on the nvidia site! :thumb:

Comment

Yes it does plus most of the good reviews were usin' Corsair XMS3500 (DDR433). ;)

Worked well the one that was here (and the one soon to be here). :devil win
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Alright! That corsair looks amazing in the reviews that I read. Now how about that harddrive that I mentioned before?

You guys are great -- just this one more thing with the hard drive (I'm looking for speed, not space) and I promise I'll stop asking questions! :devil win

Comment

Personally I like the Western Digital Special Editions (WDSE), which have an 8mb cache. That would be my choice. forget about serial ATA, it is not woth it due to the PCI bus constraints.

Comment

Yes the JB series of WD drives is my choice as well and with that 8MB cache they're hard to beat plus come in sizes rangin' from 40GB to 200GB. Plus most here know my views on how useless Serial ATA is anyway while it's still dependent on the PCI bus. ;)
                        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

stupid pci bus

Comment

IWILL P4GB motherboard

Again I ask why go 333 DDR when it only supports 266. Just seems like a waste to me.

Comment

Wiggo...If I get an asus a7n8x nforce 2 mobo can I get ddr 433 with it?

Comment

Working...
                              X