No announcement yet.

RAM upgrade causing system to crash ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM upgrade causing system to crash ??

First off thx for any help you can all give me on this one for i have never heard or seen anything like this before. At the time i had 256MB of PC2700 DDR in my system. I went out and bought another 256MB and installed it. WHen i did this my computer kept crashing all the time. It would just shutdown then restart again. I looked at the new ram and it was Samsung so figured ok maybe its just crap ram so went out and bought 256MB of crucial DDR to replace it. My system now has 512MB of PC2700 DDR in it. Now it still crashes from time to time when i try to play a game on it. My motherboard is the ASUS A7VKT333. I go into the bios and change the setting from 4.4 to 1.1. It will run in 1.1 mode ok but still crashes from time to time. that setting is normaly used for PC2100 i believe. Anyway my question is why is it my sytem runs fine on the 4.4 spec and never crashed with 256MB of ram yet when i upgrade i have to drop the bios down to 1.1 and even then i still get crashes from time to time. Thx again to anyone who can answer this riddle. My specs are below

Athlon XP 1800+
    ASUS A7VKT333 mobo
    512 MB DDR PC2700 ( one dimm OZP other Crucial )
    400watt PS
    7200 rpm WD HD
    Geforce 4 Ti 4400
    and fans up the arse for cooling ;)

It could be because they are not the same brand ! guess!!!:thumb:

Comment

Ok here's something to try first before doin' anything drastic.
      Find out which stick is ya slowest one (reset the BIOS to default settings then one stick at a time with memory settings set to By SPD reboot the PC and write down the settings for each stick, you may with some mobo's have to start changing from By SPD to By User or User Define to see these settings). If ya can't tell ya self then just post ya results here and then insert the slowest stick into the first DIMM and the faster one in the 2nd DIMM and hopefully this should cure ya prob.
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

ok, switched the crucial to the first slot and a ton of windows errors came up on xp to send to microsoft ect.... did all that and now system runs fine and is a hell of alot faster too. haven't tried a program that normaly crashes on me so will have to see what happens when i am through with a download. btw, this sound right for my xp 1800+ proc ? seems like it should be faster but guess its just me lol.
        CPU Speed 1533mhz
        CPU/PCI frequency(mhz) 133/33
        Last thing is change your avatar, everytime i watch it refill it makes me thirsty! lol j/k. thx again

Comment

That's right on the specs but as for the av (spins around on seat and opens the fridge) :devil:

<center> </center>

Comment

Working...
          X