Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K7VZA rev 1.0 wont enter setup

Greetings:

I have a K7VZA Motherboard rev. 1.0 with the 2/2000 BIOS; it worked well until last month when it would not boot. I put the Motherboard in a new system, just a video card and tried to run. It identifies the AMD processor and does the 262MB memory check then the message "CMOS checksum error - defaults loading". I try to enter setup "DEL" but it just hangs. I have also reset the BIOS, removed power from the board, but nothing. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Can someone please tell me why ppl buy these elcheapo mobo's? :(

The checksum error will come up for a lot of reasons (from a flat CMOS battery to conflicting settings) but it would help a great deal if ya tell us ya complete hardware setup plus if anything happened just prior to this problem. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

The EPoX K7VZA is actually not a bad MB...I have it in my 3rd system with a T-Bird 850 PCB version 3.0.... it's rock solid stable, and I have had it for about 2 years. Very basic, yes and not much OC'ing features, but still it's a good board.

That's not my point though.

Yeah some more info would be nice, and that would let us help you solve your problem.... maybe that is your problem, I heard that the PCB 1.0 had some flakiness attached to it.

Comment

Since when have EPoX anything to do with ECS, http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/k7vza/? :confused:

I have more links if ya ain't convinced. ;)

Comment

Sorry it must have been the full bottle of cough syrup I drank this morning.
          I have an EPoX board too (for my K6-2 500)

NyQuil and Sudafed..... it's the 13th fuc*ing step!!

Comment

Comment

Just as a matter of interest, when was the last time that the dust was cleaned out of it and mostly the heatsink? :?:

Comment

When the motherboard was removed from my wife's machine it was blown clean including the circulating fan on the AMD processor; there is no dust left..

Comment

I only asked as you would be surprised at just how many PC's I get to repair that that's their only prob.

Oh have ya also cleared the CMOS or selected Safe Defaults in the BIOS? :?:

Comment

Thanks for the ideas; I have moved the jumper on the motherboard for the "clear CMOS" jumper to the "clear CMOS position; removed power to the board (Plug from the power supply) for about 30 minutes and then put it back in the normal position. Powered it up again and same results. I even removed / checked the lithium battery and re-seated the connection for the battery. I am beginning to think that it may be a bad BIOS and several people have suggested that I download a new one but dont you have to be able to enter setup to do this? Also if you know of where I could purchase a new ROM chip with the BIOS already burned? Thanks, Wayne

Comment

Well...it sounds like your board is toast.
                      Can you boot to windows safe mode or command prompt?
                      If you can't then call it a day...you've worked hard enough.
                      If you can't boot to command how can you flash bios, eh?
                      Those series of boards are cheap enough to toss anyway.

Have a beer....that post was hard enough work to read let alone write!

Comment

Thanks to all who have tried and helped me get the K7VZA motherboard back on track. I have spent too many hours on this, and have decided to "scrap" the board. I purchased a new K7SEM board today and hope that eliminates all the problems. Again, thanks to all who have made a contribution. Happy New Year to all, Wayne

Comment

Oh man buy a decent mobo please. :cry:

Comment

This is actually my 4th system in the house and I have it in the game room so the kids can play with it. My better systems are all IWill 266 running Athlon at 1.6ghz.. so, this is just a game machine and thus the cheap board.. cheers, Wayne

Comment

Isn't this cheap enough? :?:

I'm sure givin' time that I could find a lower price

Comment

Working...
                              X