Help me choose: New board for AMD 2000+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose: New board for AMD 2000+

I'm gonna buy a new board for my AMD XP 2000+ and it has to support DDR266.
    I was thinking on buying the MSI KT4 Ultra-FISR Via KT400. Any good?
    Do you recomend other board bether than this one and that supports DDR266?

Thanks for your opinion. ;)

Forget the KT400 as the nForce2 is a much better choice atm and the EPoX EP-8RDA+ is a very good choice here as I've used it and it does perform excellently. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

But like I said it has to support DDR266

Comment

Buninho,

The DDR 266 that you are so avid about equates to PC2100 DDR memory. Since the nForce board that Wiggo refers to supports PC3200 memory, it is a given that it also supports the slower standard that you require.

Something else to consider is that the MSI boards took away the four holes around the processor that are commonly used to mount high-end heatsinks. While you may not have an immediate need for this type of cooler, it makes sense to be in a position that doesn't limit you right from the start.

And finally, EPoX boards have shown the ability to natively bypass the locked multiplier on the Thoroughbred processors (both the KT400 and nForce2 based boards). Even in my current machine, my little T-Bred 1800+ is running at 1870MHz (2200+) and I haven't even begun looking for the ceiling yet. This is a simple 14*133 setting in the BIOS and with no alterations to the processor.

Just some things for you to think about. Since you're looking for something new, it makes sense to get something good. ;)
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

You're right, I just have been looking around and decided to buy one of the new nForce2 boards since they seem to be the best boards for amd at the moment.
          I'm between the ASUS A7N8X or the Epox 8RDA.

Comment

I prefer EPoX myself, but that is a personal choice you'll have to make. Both are probably good boards. My dislike of Asus comes from several years ago when they tended to sell motherboards with too high a voltage to the AGP slot. These boards tended to blow out video cards at an alarming rate... except for Asus branded cards which amazingly were able to handle the power overload. :(
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

I prefer the EPoX boards to Asus boards here as the price for Asus is just too high for my likin'. :)
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
              X