problems finding bios on a compaq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems finding bios on a compaq

After searching the net w/o finding the info I need I figured that maybe one of the wise sages on this site might be able to assist me. I am trying to find out how to get into the bios screen on a compaq 5000 series system. What I want to do is adjust my agp aperture as well as enabling fastwrite. I am able to get into a very generic bios type screen by using the f10 button when restarting but am unable to find a way to get at the options that I need. What am I missing?

I recently installed a GF4 MX440 and am hoping to get a little more performance out of it.

Duron 750
    GF4 MX440
    Audigy MP3
    448 SDRAM
    Windows XP
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

About ya only chance there is if one of the tweaking programs at www.guru3d.com (such as nVhardpage, GeForce Tweak Utilty, aTuner, etc,...) can do that for ya as you've found all the BIOS that ya goin' too. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was kind of afraid that might be the case :-(. I'll prolly try out some of the progs from guru3d and see if I can find one that will do the trick. In the event that I do find a way to change my agp aperture from 64 to 128 as well as enable fastwrite am I likely to see much of a difference anyway?
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Comment

yep, only way to get to a BIOS is to find your way to a real motherboard.
        Compaq only allows access to an extremely limited "system configuration utility" - awfully nice of them to be so concerned about your computer's stability isn't it:confused:
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
          PrairieDawg[/size]]
          In the event that I do find a way to change my agp aperture from 64 to 128 as well as enable fastwrite am I likely to see much of a difference anyway?
          You should as a lot of games now will make a fuss at the 64MB aperture and 128MB will certainly curtail that but fastwrites are something that varies from setup to setup though whether this will or won't work for ya only ya'll be able to find out (experimentation is so fun). ;)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Wishing I had a different mobo .... still haven't found a way to access the features I want. I would like to trash the one I have but that is not in the budget ... esp. by the time I replace the case, psu , and, if I'm gonna go that far I might as well get a new cpu as well. Am not actually having any problems in my games (not even Morrowind) but would like to get all that I can out of this thing w/o spending big money.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Working...
            X