No announcement yet.

MSI KT3 Ultra2-R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doen anyone know if the MSI KT400 has the SATA integrated onto the southbridge? I am thinking about building a new system (for really high computational performance) and am either going to put in a SATA drive or Ultra160 SCSI. The SATA seems to get similar performance, but only if it is hooked directly into the southbridge (as opposed to being connected through the PCI bus).

Thanks in advance

Comment

I believe that all the onboard S-ATA features/funtions are controller by a PROMISE S-ATA controller chip if not a Highpointe one. I haven't heard of any integrated controller as of yet. Which is why board manf. are still offering them as options.

Comment

I've seen that Aopen board for an AMD cpu.. I believe its the first avalible Hammer mobo.. The reason i'm so interested in the sound system is becasue it'll be hooked up to my home system. Macintosh Mono's and Krell preamp.. it would be a shame if the audio sucked that bad that it wouldn't sound good on my stuff, thats why i like the idea of the digital optical output on that i/o board....

Comment

Hey nice audio equip. I must say the last thing you want is some harsh noise running through your audio equip. I've had my some pretty bad sound cards running through my Stereo...YAMAHA PIANOCRAFT Micro SYSTEM paired to some KLIPSCH KG1.5. Man I could swear that I blew a cone on several occasions. I've since switched back to some cambridge PC speakers for my system.

Speaking of Audio Equipment. What speakers are you using?

I'm looking for some new bookshelf speakers and was looking at

Athena Technologies AS-B1, AS-B2

Wharfedale DIAMOND 8.1 and 8.2 Series

I've already picked up some Sound Dynamics RT-3...nice little speakers but requires quite a bit to drive them.

I already have some Energy C-6 for the dining room. Still probably some of the swweetest sounding speakers I've heard yet. For vocals. For the Jazz, I like the Klipsch.

Anyways, what do you think?

Comment

I'm currently running a pair of B&W Nautilus 801's. I found B&W after listening to many different brands of speakers to be the most accurate as far as voice reproduction... I have always like Energy's speakers, same with wharfdale. Wharfdale seemed to tail off there for a while, but they are making a pretty good comback to where they use to be..
            You may wanna check out some B&W's if you into jazz.. It all depends on what you wanna spend though, I mean you can get a pair of Signature 805's for about $3000. They have the same high end as my 801's, just in a bookshelf speaker. Also the DM601 S3 model is about $450-$500 a pair, and the next model up the DM602 S3 is about $600 a pair...

Comment

I'll look into those models you've suggested. Prices seem to be very reasonable as well. All aside, I do like look of the Yellow Woven Kevlar found on B&W's and Wharfe's. It's just one of those cosmetic things that makes them nice to look at with the grill off. Gosh they can probably make some Technics Speakers with the Kevlar and I'd probably sold. LOL, then again definitely not.

I'm wondering how much of the overall tonal, frequency response I lose when using the same sub/driver in a smaller cabinet. That's the one bad thing about shopping for bookshelf speakers. I'll be moving into a apartment within the next year so floorstanding speakers are out of the question. I'm also not to fond of the sat-sub combos, they always seem to be lacking, which is why I want to stay with bookshelfs. That's in case you are wondering why I'd limit myself.

I actually like the Specs of the DM602's over the 805's, I think the 7" driver is it's strength over other Bookshelfs which are mainly limited to 6 1/2". Have you auditioned these by chance? I should have some time audition them this weekend while the Mrs. go's shopping. :)

I'll let you know what goes on...Wharfe's did always seem to offer a bang for the $$$ but the cabinetry isn't quite up to par with others.

Comment

your right about the yellow kevlar driver, it makes the speakers nice to look at with the grills off.
                I have auditioned the DM602's. All I can say is their B&W all the way!!!! Same great sound as found in most of their speakers... I'm actually planning on using the 602's for my rears when i finish up my basement theater... As for the subwoofer, my favorite subwoofer i've heard (also planning on 2 for the theater) are the SVS 16-36 models.. They come in a passive and powered version.. (www.svsubwoofers.com) A friend of mine has a couple of the passives, 1 on each channel and they sound great, the 16-36 hits down as low as 16hz, very fast reponce too, great for audio. With that depth I think they'll make great movie subs too...

Comment

Working...
                X