Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion HELP!!

Hi folks...

Been trying to fix this laptop for a week now and I cant seem to pinpoint what the problem is at all..Here goes...

Its an advent 9415 UKT Support - Advent 9415 Laptop

Had vista installed when I got it. Wouldnt even turn on, power light would come on then cd drive would make access noise then HD would spin up and light would come on then HD would cut off and spin down. This continued in a loop for a while so I unplugged and pulled out the hd and tried to boot again. Same deal with the power off loop.

I pulled out the cmos battery and the ram thinking perhaps this might reset something. Bingo got it to boot again and I reformatted and installed windows 7. Logged on then froze again. Then rebooted got in again and all seemed well, installed chipset, video, sound, WLAN, LAN drivers. All good for 1 night!! Then the power off loop again!!

I ran spin-right boot disk and ran several tests on the HD without a single error. I then ran memtest 4.0 bootdisk and done several passes comprimising all tests over several hours with no errors!! (memtest stopped responding at one point and I had to reboot and rerun the test, but I got no errors from the program)

Motherboard??CPU??

If anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

Re: Confusion HELP!!

Is it overheating possibly?

You may need to send it back, did you just get the laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Is it overheating possibly?

You may need to send it back, did you just get the laptop?
      Hi,

No its not new and I doubt its over heating because previously it has run for a couple of hours without locking up. Its completely cold now when I try turn it on.

Thanks for the reply

Comment

So it runs memtest for hours, just will not run a OS that long?

I would try a clean OS install then, maybe they messed it up when installing it for you?

Comment

Originally posted by imalearner View Post
          Hi,

No its not new and I doubt its over heating because previously it has run for a couple of hours without locking up. Its completely cold now when I try turn it on.

Thanks for the reply
          Actually I pulled the ram out and reinserted it and now it boots into 7 fine. Ran burn test to see if its heat related, system locked up at 59 degrees had to reboot again.
          Its all a bit Strange really!!!

Comment

Originally posted by imalearner View Post
            Hi,

Thanks for the reply
            Originally posted by Lsdmeasap
            So it runs memtest for hours, just will not run a OS that long?

I would try a clean OS install then, maybe they messed it up when installing it for you?
            It was originally a vista machine. I reformatted and installed 7, so I doubt its anything to do with the O/S. Memtest froze just like the O/S did at one stage, had to reboot and restart tests. I wonder is it a dogey cpu....

Comment

Hmm, ya it does sound all a bit odd or random, especially since it is messing up on you in memtest as well as in the OS.

I could see maybe the OS due to funky drivers or programs or something like that, but memtest should be all ok due to the fact you can't adjust things in the BIOS. Unless it is faulty ram or CPU, do you have another set or stick of ram you can try?

Comment

Working...
              X