Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overclocking the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R...excellent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overclocking the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R...excellent!

Originally posted by miahallen View Post
    I agree...have you tried to OC your yet bodean?
    I pushed it to 3.5 without any problems with AIR cooler. But I didn't like the wattage it was using, so running 3.0Ghz now without any issues.
    I7 - 2600K
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H (bios F20e mod)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
    Sapphire 7970
    ASUS XONAR DX
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Comment

I must note I am using the 860, not the 750 so I might have an advantage since the base clock is higher already. I am VERY impressed with the 750 though.
      P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
      880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black
      2 or 3 other systems I like to play with and a laptop

Comment

Right on guys...really glad you like my post nate, I'm glad it was helpful. I don't have any experience with videos yet...but maybe someday :)

Typically, I'm a competitive overclocker only, so making everyday overclocking videos probably wouldn't be my thing, sorry :(

You can check out some of my history here:
        THG OVERDRIVE North America Championship in LA, Nov 2008
        THG OVERDRIVE World Championship in Paris, Dec 2008
        Gigabyte Open Overclocking Championship (GOOC) 2009, North American Championship, April 2009

I've still been working with this 750 on the UD3R...I've been testing with water cooling, trying to get better efficiency on my SPI32M run so that I can hopefully claim the world record for the 750 on that benchmark. WE'll see :)

Both of you ought to consider a better air cooler if you would like to reach higher OCing potential. Here is a link to what I was using:
        Last edited by miahallen; 10-04-2009, 02:07 PM.
        The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

Dude, that's cool as hell! I would like nothing more than to get involved in something like that. I have been messing with computers for 20 years. I have always been scared to try anything new like fixing them myself, building them, etc. A year ago I decided you only live once and started building my own system (A P45 - Quad core system) and went to work learning to OC and fix Windows when I screwed it up. Now I have a side business fixing computers and building them for anybody who wants one. I do most of it for cost.

I think your accomplishments are cool as hell. Keep me posted man. It's amazing what you have done with the 750 and that board. The board isn't even the top end. I wonder if my board would have produced different results (P55-UD4P) Isn't the power regulation supposed to be better the higher you go? (not that my board is top of the line but it's two steps down)
          P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
          880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black

Comment

I was just priming on water cooling at 4452MHz...let it run for 15min...stable as a rock :)

The only difference between our boards is that yours supports SLI...power regulation is identical ;)

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

I was just priming on water cooling at 4452MHz...let it run for 15min...stable as a rock :)

The only difference between our boards is that yours supports SLI...power regulation is identical ;)
              I am checking around right now for better coolers for LGA1156. I will probably get something like the H50 or some other self contained kit but none I have seen have support for it yet. They will soon! I can't wait to run some benches and do some rendering with my 860 at over 4Ghz. Those 1366 guys don't like this new socket but I think there's room for all of us in the community.

Keep us up on what you're doing man!

Comment

Stay tuned guys...i7 870 incoming...more results on the way ;)

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

Stay tuned guys...i7 870 incoming...more results on the way ;)
                  I for one can't wait. I have got to find a cooler. The 1156 coolers are hard to find. Have the major companies come out with brackets yet?

What kind of air cooler did you use miahallen? I can only find like 3 different ones that fit.

Comment

I used the Prolimatech Megahalems unit...it's one of the best air coolers on the market...it performs somewhere in between the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (aka "TRUE") and the TRUE Copper. And it's reasonably priced. It also has the best mounting system of ANY air cooler to date.

Prolimatech - Megahalems CPU Cooler - 775 / 1366 / 1156 - Rev B
                    Shown with older 775/1366 bracket

New black version:
                    Prolimatech Mega Shadow - Deluxe Edition 775 / 1366 / 1156
                    Shown with new 775/1156/1366 compatible bracket

They also have the 775/1156/1366 hold-down bracket available for those who already have the original version:
                    Prolimatech Megahalems Socket LGA 1156 mounting kit

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

OK...wanted to provide a brief update with more stability testing on the i5 750, as well as my first thoughts on the i7 870 that arrived today.

First I'd like to point out something interesting I found when I swapped CPUs today. Apparently, "socket burn" may have effected me as well. Time will tell, but I believe I do show some indication of an issue here...hopefully it does not get any worse :shakes: I'd really like to know if this is a mobo/CPU/design problem:

The board is still fully operational at this time, and does not seem to be suffering any negative performance effects. (See i7 870 results below)

So, a quick update to my stability testing on the i5 750. After hooking up my basic custom water cooling system...I was able to achieve slightly better results. I was stable for about 15 minutes at 4.45GHz, but impatient as I am, wanted to try to hit 4.5GHz...so I pushed up the slider a knotch and crashed it immediately. Luckly, I got a quick screen here:

Since I knew I was at the edge of Prime95 stability, and I wanted to let it run a bit longer for you diehard stability testing guys...I backed it off a hair and did about 100 minutes at 4.4GHz...not to shabby for a $200 quad :D

When I got home from work tonight, I found a nice new retail i7 870 waiting for me...thank you Gigabyte Japan :cool: While I was hoping for some sweet cherry picked ES or something...what I got was a retail CPU off the shelf...a quick glance at the box showed this thing is a very close relative of the golden i5 I've been playing with :D

So, out came the 750, and in went the 870....right off that bat, I'm impressed. Stable at 3840MHz WITH ALL STOCK VOLTAGES forced in the BIOS :up: (auto overvolting is normal when Turbo mode is enabled)

A quick run at 4.2GHz shows that this one should also be a pretty decent clocker :cool: I'll be putting it under my F1EE in a few days.

To be continued....

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

Nice. The 870 seems very good. I wonder the 860 will do in the same setup. (I guess you can't test all of them) Very good post as usual.

What IS "socket burn"? just where it gets too hot and scorches the socket? Is it some kind of "short" I'm glad the board still works.

Also, Thanks for the cooler idea. Looks like a good choice!
                        Last edited by nate42nd; 10-09-2009, 04:56 AM.

Comment

"Socket burn" is not an official term or anything, more of a possible manufacturing flaw is the P55 platform, we still do not know who is to blame, Intel or the motherboard manufacturers. See here for more details:
                          P55-UD6 socket burn - XtremeSystems Forums

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

Does this affect the CPU too. (burn it) I have not had time to read the link you posted yet but I will. Thank you. I hope your CPU is okay. I am going to look for this on my stuff. If I see anything I willo post it, athough I will not be doing extreme OCing for a while.

Comment

I think this is pretty isolated stuff at this point...seems only the extreme crowd has been having issues...but it's somthing to watch for.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

Do you like using EasyTune 6? Never used it, as I tweak/overclock only via my bios.
                                I7 - 2600K
                                Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H (bios F20e mod)
                                G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
                                Sapphire 7970
                                ASUS XONAR DX
                                Windows 8.1 64 bit

Comment

Working...
                                X