Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XFX 790i ultra and 8600GT (No Boot) please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFX 790i ultra and 8600GT (No Boot) please help.

Hi'

I just brought a 790i Motherboard and i cant get it to display any video signal, if i post my system spec could someone please tell me if i have a compatibility issue or a dud motherboard.

PSU = 800w sata
    CPU = Pentium D 920 3Ghz
    GPU = Palit 8600GT Super+1GB
    Ram = 4Gb DDR3 1330Mtz
    Motherboard = XFX 790i
    sata 250Gb HD

When everything is attached to the Motherboard all the fans come on and the Diagnostic Code Displays reads FF and the monitor displays nothing at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Im thinking that my GPU is not the correct flavour for this new pci-e 2.0 but i really don't no.

The monitor, gpu, cpu all work and are put back on my old motherboard and im using it to write this post.

Re: XFX 790i ultra and 8600GT (No Boot) please help.

Well looking at the CPU Compatibility List for that mainboard you have a slight problem.

It's time to get rid of that underperforming power hungry space heater anyway.
    Last edited by wayout44; 03-14-2009, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Ya totally agree and its next on the list to upgrade but i don't have the money just yet :(

that compatibility list confuses me because if you scroll down the list it has another 920 and it says 2.8ghz and another that says 2.6ghz but mine is 3ghz

I just hope its a compatibility issue and not the motherboard that's duff.

Comment

Yeah my mistake, but Intel do list the P4 D920 as 2.8GHz not 3.0GHz.

I'd try another videocard but PCI-E 1 cards will work in PCI-E 2 slots just fine and the FF code does indicate a successfull boot.

Have you tried the videocard in another slot or tried the other video ouput on the videocard?
        Last edited by wayout44; 03-14-2009, 11:43 PM.

Comment

I've tried both the DVI ports and both do the same (no vid signal)

Ive not tried the card in any other pci-e port only the primary one.

not sure if these motherboards have a built in speaker but i dont hear any beeps on boot/post.

Comment

I got the same problem like you.. I currently build a pc with this motherboard.. FF code..no beep..nothing on screen, i remove everything, cpu, ram..she never gave me an error beep i wrote to xfx support team..
            if i got some answer from them..i'll wrote it to you

Comment

Ya cool that would be appreciated thanks.

Comment

After seeking on few forum, we can see there a lot of xfx 790i ultra does the same thing.. most of them are dead mobo..I test all part on a P53 Deluxe wifi...all are working..so it's finally the motherboard.. i'm always waiting for xfx answer

Comment

Here the XFX support team answer for our problem

MICHAEL_L 3/19/2009 2:17:48 AM] Hi Francois, Thank you for contacting technical support. Verify that it is set to 115v and not 230v. There is almost always a switch to change the voltage on the back of a power supply. Verify that the 4 pin or 8 pin EPS connections is plugged in next to the CPU. Verify that the 24 pin ATX connector is in snugly. You can use the power buttons at the bottom of the board to turn the system on and off. Some boards do not have these integrated power buttons. For those you can use any metal object to bridge the Power_SW headers in the front panel connections to turn the system on. Does the CPU heatsink you are using use a metal retention bracket that mounts to the back of the motherboard? If these are not insulated these can sometimes link together circuits that should not be together or damage resistors that are on the back of the board. If you have a retention bracket that is not insulated try removing it and simply holding the heatsink down on the CPU with your finger and starting the computer. If none of this works remove the heatsink and uninstall the CPU. Check the CPU socket on the motherboard for any bent pins. These can be repaired usually by just rubbing your finger lightly on the pin to put it back in alignment. In more extreme cases it can be repaired with tweezers or a small standard screwdriver but you should be careful not to bend any other pins or damage the socket. If possible, than try another CPU in this system though it is the least likely part to be faulty. Let us know how that works out. Please double check that your serial number is registered correctly and verify that your Account Information has your full name, current contact phone number and mailing address that someone will be able to sign for a package, FedEx requires these things when shipping anything in case they have to contact you about delivery, in case we need to escalate this for RMA evaluation. Thanks, Michael

Comment

LOL so they have no idea then.
                    All they have said is the basic obvious stuff.

lot of text they sent you but not very helpful :(
                    if i was you i would go for the RMA.

I got my board from ebay so god knows how it will work out for me but i wish i got another motherboard now ive herd so many bad things about the xfx like bsod for no reason, there very fussy on what memory they exsept, bios chips giving up.

well thanks for shearing this info buddy hope it all works out for you and ur up and running soon :)

Comment

The mobo goes in rma soon ...they confirmed it..
                      So man..I'm glad for you...=(
                      Pickup an Asus at the place of Xfx :P
                      have a nice day...

Comment

Comment

lol man..to you want to put you're video card to a sli?

Comment

Working...
                          X