No announcement yet.

How would I know if I blew out my chip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed the HSF upside down? As a newbie to this, that makes me feel a little better. So at least I'm not the only one screwing up their stuff the first go 'round. :-)

Maybe someone can help me with this, I haven't had much luck so far. I purchased the following components to build a new box:

MSI Mainboard SIS 645 chipset
    P4 1.5 cpu 478 socket
    case w/ 400 volt PSU
    Geforce3 Ti200
    512 MB DDR ram

At the moment I have no cards or devices in the box, other than the video card. What seems to be completely random occurences seem to happen whenever I boot up though. Sometimes I start up and am able to get into BIOS without trouble. However, When modifying BIOS, it almost always freezes up on me before I can save and exit. On restart, nothing shows up on the monitor, although the monitor light is green, indicating input, (as opposed to yellow). The system doesn't beep, and it seems as if only the fan is running. At this point if I reset CMOS, I can get the computer to start normally again, but it always ends up freezing in BIOS. The behavior is almost completely erratic, and sometimes I get random error messages like: "Low Battery" (though I just bought the thing), and "CMOS Setting Error", although I've been VERY careful not to start my computer with CMOS in reset mode.

I checked the temperatures of the cpu and mobo, and they're both running around 86 degrees F. I did not use thermal grease between the HSF and cpu, and the HSF didn't have any padding on the bottom. Some have told me this isn't a problem, others have told me it is. I've tried swapping my geforce3 video card for my older diamond viper. Same situation. The geforce works fine on my other computer. So I'm thinking the problem must be with the cpu, motherboard, or my RAM.

I heard that a certain type of RAM works better on the MSI board, though I can't recall what it was. I don't have any other RAM to substitute in to check, since my older computer uses SDRAM, and it doesn't fit in the newer DDR slots on my new mobo. Does it sound like RAM could be causing the problem? Or does it sound like I blew something out on my mobo or cpu?

This is all from the mind of a newbie, so if I misinterpreted anything, feel free to correct me. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, as I'm trying to prepare myself to deal with this $800 paper weight.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
      Yohhan[/size]]
      I did not use thermal grease between the HSF and cpu, and the HSF didn't have any padding on the bottom. Some have told me this isn't a problem, others have told me it is.
      Well it isn't a good thing to do so get some AS3 in there quickly as air pockets between core and HSF are probably causing hot spots and that maybe what your problem is. :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

sounds like a problem I had on my old MSI K7T Pro2-A... and that ended up being a cracked CPU core... I could occasionally get into the BIOS.. sometimes even start to boot, but it always crashed... Check your CPU for any cracks / fractures on the top...

Comment

It does have an IHS on top of the core though. :smokin:

Comment

I think your CPU is/had some real problems with no thermal interface material of any sort.. the users who told u that u didnt need it probably dont have hot CPU types... remember... even if a core or heatsink LOOKs flat, it still has microscopic pits, which when added up, means alot of area is still not being contacted... the TIMis used to fill in those spots..without it, not enough contact can be made, and it can/will overheat...

Comment

*slaps self*

I've gotta stop thinking Athlon. I didn't even realise we were talking P4 here... but anyways...

Definitely get some form of thermal contact in there. Divine_MC was spot on with what he said. But I don't know if you would have damaged your CPU or not, because P4's are good at throttling themselves down when they overheat, so it might have saved itself... ya never know

Comment

That makes two of us Beefy.. But the P4s can still suffer heat damage.. just not as easily. If it happens suddenly, or happens constantly, it can still suffer in the long term.. i would not rule out damage, but i would consider now conflicts as well.. i know certain mobos that wont boot if they havea certain brand NIC.. could be the same way here...

Comment

Originally posted by Yohhan
                  Installed the HSF upside down? As a newbie to this, that makes me feel a little better. So at least I'm not the only one screwing up their stuff the first go 'round. :-)
                  I didn't really put it on upside down...I was just being myself.... :)

Comment

i've done all sorts of stupid installations of heatsinks.. the best way to learn (expensive though.. :( )

Comment

Check.. Double check, and finally, turn on coputer with head stuck in case watching every component with hand wrpped tightly around the power cord, ready to pull it at the first sign of a problem.. :)

Comment

Don't literally stick your head in your case of course.. :D

Comment

Oh, of course!! COuld you only imagine the pain induced by having your hair caught in a 7000RPM Delta fan??? I mean.. pain galore.. but you Do need to be close enough so u can tell.. :)

Comment

So even if the BIOS never registered the BIOS temp going higher than 90 degrees F or so, it could still damage itself? I've never had it on more than a few minutes at a time. It heats up that fast?

What does IHS stand for?

Thanks, I'll start by getting some thermal grease.

Comment

Like i sid, it is possible... wait.. bioses donnt normally read in F.. areyou SURE it was 90*F, and NOT 90*C??? If it was 90*C, it F*cked, if it is 90*F, then your quite fine, and it is a conflict..

Comment

I'm sure it was F. The BIOS shows C and F. C was like in the 30's or something.

Where can I order/purchase some of that thermal grease? Do they have that stuff at a Best Buy/Fry's, or online somewhere?

Comment

Working...
                                X