Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No response at power-on

LSD, you're not going to believe this:
    I am just amazed here. I got a replacement motherboard, exactly the same model (EVGA 7050/610i) put it into the case and hooked up the basics. Push the power button and everything spins up - looks like the problem is solved, and thankfully, the CPU is fine. So I connect everything up, power up, and it boots back to my Windows XP settings and all looks fine. I did some software updates, downloaded the most recent BIOS (but didn't update yet), etc. XP runs fine with no issues. I put the system in standby, went away for a couple hours, come back and hit the keyboard...nothing. So I push the power button...nothing. I cannot believe that I'm seeing the same problem. Remember, I have a brand new 680-watt PSU. I am testing in *exactly* the same location where my Gigabyte runs day in and out (I just pulled all the cables out and put the new system in place, connect everything up). I disconnected everything but the basics (memory, CPU, power switch, power connectors to the board, still nothing...it's completely dead. Absolutely no response. It doesn't help that there's no LED on the board. I tested the PSU offline with a paperclip, and it's fine. I searched like crazy for any place this board could be shorting, but I can see nothing. All the solder joints are at least 1/4 inch away from the case due to the standoffs. There is no obvious place where the board could be shorting against the case.
    What could possibly be causing these boards to die like this?? Am I just having seriously bad luck? I'm afraid to try another mobo in here...I feel like this case is cursed!
    (Please remove the spam posting above this one.)
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

HAHA I will Ban the spammer for ya! Sorry I meant to yesterday and must have forgot.

Will be right back to edit this and reply

*EDIT*

Forgot to edit to reply
      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-10-2008, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Hmm well I personally consider Nvidia based boards to be junk, but that is just me. I do think EVGA makes good cards, but that is about as far as my thoughts go with that company. Ohh and they do have a good RMA dept as well, almost forgot.

Well, WOW!!!

Sounds terrible, but it does still sound like it is shorting to me. DO you use those little red washers between the Tray standoffs and the motherboard, and between the upper side of the board and the screw?

If not that could be your issue if one of your standoffs is touching a cheaply grounded screw hole in the board it would short without a washer. Maybe they also go cheap on the design and assume people will use washers. They should be isolated and washers not really needed, but sounds like they may not be properly isolated

I ALWAYS DO.

These are what I mean
        motherboard washer - Google Product Search

If you do use them, then WOW. I dunno but it does sound like a short somehow to me, maybe even if you use them AVGA did not coat the traces well and the leads or something is allowing a "Jump" of electric somehow to the tray or standoffs?

Comment

You're not going to believe this (or maybe you will)...
          It's not shorting. It's the BIOS. Just as I was putting everything in the box to RMA (again!), I decided to clear CMOS. Yes, I tried this on the first board, but only shorted the pins for a few minutes (which is all it takes on every other board I have). So, I left the pins shorted for half an hour, plus removed the battery. Frankly, I really didn't think this would make any difference, as the board was *completely* unresponsive at power-up. I know what it sounds like when you need to clear CMOS...every other machine I've ever used spins up and makes some sort of POST beep. Anyway, I put the pin and battery back in place, pushed the button, and the damn thing spins up!
          So, I'm like totally amazed...wtf is going on? I hook everything up and boot to BIOS and just set the time and a few minor things. Boot to XP, do some stuff, then into standby. No return from standby...dead again. Clear CMOS, set to fail-safes, try again. Now, I have been able to go into standby and/or off and on again several times, each time changing one or two things in BIOS. I still have no idea what setting is the "suicide parameter"!! I guess I'll eventually find it. Ever heard of such a scenario?
          Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

Comment

Ya, I always leave the battery in, but short it for about 20 or so minutes with a jumper

S3 standby?

I'd be switching boards to a different brand if it was me, and a NON Nvidia / AMD Chipset

Comment

S3 or power off...same thing happens. Now I have it on optimal defaults, it seems to be behaving...we'll see.
              I'm very close to just RMAing the board, but really don't want to go through the hassle of reloading XP and all the software. If there were some way to remove the chipset drivers, etc. and then load the new drivers once I get the new board so that I could just leave the O/S and applications in place, I would change the board in a heartbeat.

Comment

Well if you get the same exact board you wont have any of those issues. Just plug in the new board and go.

As for switching board models and keeping the same install. It can be done, but it never suggested. What you would do it just plug the drive into the new board, and if it is going to work for you in this case windows would load and then start installing drivers automatically, and new devices (Same devices again reallY) and ask you to update a few. Which you would then at that time let it do its' thing,but close all the windows that are asking for your input. Then install The chipset drivers, reboot and go into device manager and update any drivers that are left after that

Like I said, it can be done and easily often times. But generally leaves the system a mess, and it is always best to do a clean install

Comment

Yeah, that was my thought, too. I'll see if I can stabilize this silly thing. If not, I'll have to go through the entire software load again with a new motherboard.

Comment

Good luck getting it setup either way

Comment

Working...
                    X