No announcement yet.

Your opinion: Gigabyte motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i honestly can't tell you if i like em or no (mainly cos i haven't owneed anything made from them), but one thing i think they need to work on is the model naming/numbering. their currnet way of naming, IMO really sucks.
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Just an example... :)
      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I haven't dealt with their motherboards, but the one and only video card I have from them was D.O.A. - so a little bit debatable from my experience, but I keep an open mind :)
        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
          i honestly can't tell you if i like em or no (mainly cos i haven't owneed anything made from them), but one thing i think they need to work on is the model naming/numbering. their currnet way of naming, IMO really sucks.
          What's wrong with it?

It's simple and effective...

Comment

I have been using different types of Gigabyte motherboards for over 5 years (always upgrading), and have never had problems with any of them.

I am using an MSI m/b in my main machine at the moment but that is only because it is very hard to get Gigabyte boards in the Philippines. But I can't complain about the MSI.

I have two other computers, both with Gigabyte boards, GA-60XE and a GA-6VX7-1394.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose

What's wrong with it?

It's simple and effective...
              besides the GA- at the start, the modle naming doesn't mean anything
              e.g:
              A7V333 - that in itself tells you, that its a VIA chipset, the kt333
              GA-5AX - all it tells you is its made by Gigabyte nothing much else

maybe its just me wanting informative model numbers or something
              TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Gigabyte aren't the only companies that make up their model names as they wish.

Sure the ASUS is pretty well named, like the A7V333.

A= ASUS
                7= K7 (Athlon)
                V = VIA
                333 = chipset

but Abit also have a structured model naming convention, like the Abit SA6R for example.

The "S" comes from the first letter of the chipset, the "A" is pulled out of the sky, the "6" is the generation of processor the motherboard is for and the "R" is also pulled out of the sky to make a name which sounds good, basically.
                Managing Director
                Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Rather quick judgment on your behalf.....

So I take it that Gigabyte are the only company that has made a bad mainboard over the years? ;)
                  quick? nothing quick about it...

i been ****ing with this board since day 1, and it has YET to work right :

go back and read the thread and you'll see what i mean

i'll never trust another board from them until THIS one works as intended

gigabyte

Comment

Originally posted by ct_

quick? nothing quick about it...

i been ****ing with this board since day 1, and it has YET to work right :

go back and read the thread and you'll see what i mean

i'll never trust another board from them until THIS one works as intended

gigabyte
                    It is still a quick judgment...

It is because you are judging a Mainboard manufacturers quality of overall products on just one of their products...That specific product that you are talking about may be dodgy...but that doesn't reflect on the quality of their other products.

So by you saying that ALL of Gigabytes mainboards are crap...then yes..that is a quick judgment....
                    :devil:

Comment

It is still a quick judgment...

It is because you are judging a Mainboard manufacturers quality of overall products on just one of their products...That specific product that you are talking about may be dodgy...but that doesn't reflect on the quality of their other products.
                      :devil:
                      Spot on Moose my mate.
                      Managing Director
                      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Andy

besides the GA- at the start, the modle naming doesn't mean anything
                        e.g:
                        A7V333 - that in itself tells you, that its a VIA chipset, the kt333
                        GA-5AX - all it tells you is its made by Gigabyte nothing much else

maybe its just me wanting informative model numbers or something
                        So by this you are saying that the average Joe knows what A7V333 Means?

It doesn't need to have any reference to the set-up of the product at all really, as long as it tells us who made the mainboard...Techs that work with Gigabyte boards get used to the model numbers and the specs of the boards.... once it hits the Market with the end user...they don't need to know all the specs of the chipset and everything to do with the board. It is all jargon to them...all they want is a PC that works...only a fairly small amount of the computer market is aimed at the overclocking market...so really product codes that are related to the specific specs of the mainboard are not really necessary

Comment

And again, spot on. :)
                          Managing Director
                          Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Moose, you're on a roll here.. what else have you got to say? :)

Comment

I was under the impression that it stood for an ALi Aladdin chipset (GA-5AX) in an ATX formfactor. They had the same board in an AT formfactor as I recall, GA-5AA or something like that...

Comment

So by this you are saying that the average Joe knows what A7V333 Means?

It doesn't need to have any reference to the set-up of the product at all really, as long as it tells us who made the mainboard...Techs that work with Gigabyte boards get used to the model numbers and the specs of the boards.... once it hits the Market with the end user...they don't need to know all the specs of the chipset and everything to do with the board. It is all jargon to them...all they want is a PC that works...only a fairly small amount of the computer market is aimed at the overclocking market...so really product codes that are related to the specific specs of the mainboard are not really necessary
                                of course the average joe won't know that A7V333 means, to them its just numbers and letters and the same with GA-5AX, but to 'informed' like you and me, know what A7V333 means, its by asus, its for the athlon, has a via chipset, and the chipset is the kt333, GA-5AX on the other hand, the only thing i can get from that is Gigabyte :\
                                TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Working...
                                X