looking for good socket A mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for good socket A mobo

I ussually shop at newegg.com and on it i found ....only that EPoX EP-8RDA3+PRO Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail for about $70 plus tax and shipping ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...33#DetailSpecs ) it's a little strange though how there aren't many socket a mobo's there but what i'm looking for is: something that will support my athlon xp 2800+, sata hdd, has dual channel ram and at ddr 400, and the fsb of the mobo to be 333/400ish, and any chipset but sis or via : P. Is the mobo i posted above a good selection though? something for gaming so a solid mobo that can also be overclocked. spending probably less than $100 as well

Re: looking for good socket A mobo

Try a different site. Newegg doesn't really offer any reasonably-priced enthusiast boards for socket A anymore. You might be best off with eBay or some forums

Comment

yeah really, they used to have a chaintech board i was looking into but now the selection is down to 3 : P

Comment

And its guaranteed to be even less as the days pass too as socket A CPU's became obsolete when the Athlon 64's where released.

Comment

yarg hehe i don't want to buy another processor just yet, maybe i'll just wait and save for a 64bit one then now that i have a steady income.

[edit: update]
          wow heh, i did a google search for socket a sale and got to directron. looking mainly at an abit: the nf7-s2g, it has everything i wanted as well. i'll look for reviews but does anyone here have good knowledge of if this is a good mobo?
          Last edited by GBRRICCI; 01-13-2006, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Actually it's not a very good board. The NF7-S v. 2 is about the best board you can get (and pretty much all will be v. 2, so don't worry about that).

Comment

I have a Abit NF7-rev2 and a Asus A7N8X-deluxe and love both.Sure I did not pay more than 60.00 for either one at Ebay.Shop around,Jo
              Main Rig-Clr full tower 7 colored fans,Asus A7N8X-Deluxe,Athlon xp3000+,1.5 gig pc3200,Saphire 9600pro 256 mb,Evercool wc101 water cooler,Ultra 500 x-connect,Maxtor 120,Dvd-rom,Dvd-ram,floppy,Windows XP pro sp2,2003 office pro...

Comment

Indeed, I just bought an NF7-S for $55 at the Anandtech forums.

Comment

I was bidding on what the seller thought was the S version until the last day he realised it was just a nf7 v2 board. what are the differences between them though?

also: Abit NF7-S2 & Abit NF7-S Revision 2.0 these are two different motherboards and the s2 has dual channel over he rev 2. which board are you talking about?
                  Last edited by GBRRICCI; 01-15-2006, 01:24 PM.

Comment

They're both the same except that the first one is using the short version of the name while the other is using the full name.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
                      They're both the same except that the first one is using the short version of the name while the other is using the full name.
                      Wrong. The NF7-S2 is not the same thing as the NF7-S v. 2. It, like so many other boards with NF7 in the name, will not overclock well. You can see a whole list of them here.

Originally posted by GBRRICCI
                      I was bidding on what the seller thought was the S version until the last day he realised it was just a nf7 v2 board. what are the differences between them though?
                      S stands for SATA. The NF7 should overclock just as well as an NF7-S. It's basically identical except for the lack of SATA.

You don't have to shop at eBay, either. You can just setup an account at the Anandtech forums and grab an NF7-S for $50-$60 there. I see those and a lot of volt-modded A7N8XE-Deluxe going on AT all the time, so you should have any problems.

Comment

quick question, is the good abit nf7 board the one with the atx connector parallel or perpendicular to the agp slot.

edit

i'll try going to anandtech again, dont remember why i went to ebay instead, i was having trouble setting some stuff up and finding items
                        Last edited by GBRRICCI; 01-17-2006, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I have NF7-Srev2 and it is perpendicular.
                          Main Rig-Clr full tower 7 colored fans,Asus A7N8X-Deluxe,Athlon xp3000+,1.5 gig pc3200,Saphire 9600pro 256 mb,Evercool wc101 water cooler,Ultra 500 x-connect,Maxtor 120,Dvd-rom,Dvd-ram,floppy,Windows XP pro sp2,2003 office pro...

Comment

Working...
                          X