Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP with NVIDIA Firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP with NVIDIA Firewall

Hi, Hope someone can help my cos this is doing my nut in, and Gigabyte's tech support are useless, first of al my sysetm consists of:

Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP Skt754 Nvidia NF3 250 Chipset Mobo
    AMD Sempron 3100 (1800mhz) overclocked to 2335mhz
    2 x 512mb OCZ Premier PC3200 400mhz Mem
    Sony DVD ROM CD-R/RW Combo Drive
    Sony Dual Layer 16x DVD R/RW +/-
    128mb XFX Nvidia FX5500 AGP 8x Graphics
    Sony Floppy Disc Drive
    Western Digital 80gb SATA Hard Drive
    3 x 80mm LED Case Fans and 1 x 120mm Led Case Fan
    Windows XP Pro Media Centre Edition 2005 with SP2, all on a 550w PSU

When I read the reviews at gigabyte about this board it stated that it comes with Dual LAN and a Nvidia Hardware Firewall built into the southbridge, so of course I snaped one up "like you do" everything you could possibly need in a mobo, However when I recived it and set it up, I could not get the firewall up and running, so I read onto other reviews about this mobo.

other reviews say that the NF3 250 which is what I have only comes with 1 x LAN port (10/100) and no firewall, if you want the Firewall you have to go for the NF3 250gb or the 250Ultra which comes with Dual Lan ports (1 x 10/100 and 1 x 10/100/1000) the bit im confused about is that my board comes with the Dual LAN, so where is the firewall hideing.

Anyone else experiencing any probs with this, or anyone able to help would be much appreciated, I have been a gigabyte customer for years but am quickly going off them recently, below is a link to my mobo, I have tried flashing the bios to F11, checked the bios to see if im missing something and tried installing the firewall drivers via Nvidia's forceware drivers and still no luck.

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard...GA-K8NSNXP.htm
    Gigabyte G1.Sniper rev 1.0 (F3a Beta Bios)
    Intel Core i7 920 (overclocked to 4.35ghz)
    8gb (4 x 2gb) G.Skill RipJaws Red 2133mhz 9-11-9-28 2T 1.62v
    OCZ Vertex 2 120gb Solid State Drive
    Western Digital 500gb RE2 HDD
    Sony DVD/DL/RAM/Lightscribe 22x Drive
    2 x Saphire ATI Radeon 5830 GFX Cards (Crossfire)
    Coolermaster Realpower 850w PSU
    Windows 7 64bit Proffesional Edition

Re: Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP with NVIDIA Firewall

I have the same motherboard. There is nothing wrong with your motherboard or firewall, it is a hardware firewall(like the ones in some switches and most routers) not a software one like norton or zone alarm. You dont have to do anything, except update the divers occationaly, the originals are on your cd and will work just fine.

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply

Thats what im saying though, the drivers wont install, and there is also supposed to be a console for you to adjust the settings for the firewall, if you dont have the console, you dont have the firewall enabled, default is disabled.

Whenever I try to install the drivers, I just get a stop message saying feature not available, but like I said earlier the Dual LAN boards are supposed to come with the Firewall, which makes me think that im doing something else wrong, like got one of the bios settings incorrect etc.

Comment

There is no client for the firewall, it is a hardware firewall as I said before and I looked through every file on the CD and there is no console for the firewall period. No interaction is required, if you go to the MicroSoft's Windows update site you will see a Marvell Gigabit Ethernet Driver, that is really all you need, there are no consoles for the firewall as I said.
        If I need to list them here we go:
        1) @BIOS
        2) DMIViewer
        3) Easy Tune 4/5
        4) Face Wizard
        5) GWUM
        6) GMT
        Plus a few other programs not worth mentioning.

Comment

Hi, Unfortunatly it seems you niether have the hardware firewall installed, it does not work without the console, see the link below, I think you may have the same problem as me, the reason all these manufacturers are so excited about this new nvidia firewall is beacuse it is hardware but controled by a software console called Nvidia network access manager http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1639&page=3 (ignore the board just the access manager which allows you to configure the ports and update the chip etc like a bios chip), if you disable all your software firewalls and anti-virus then goto symantec security check at there web site http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/d...d=ie&venid=sym and see if your covered for firewall.

I have the Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP NF3 250 Chipset mobo, the so called amazing feature of this board is it has the Dual 6 Miracle, (Dual LAN, Dual Bios, Dual Raid, Dual Power System, Dual Cooling, Dual CPU Bandwidth) and thats it.

Comment

When you install the Nforce chipset drivers, you are asked if you wish to install and activate the hardware firewall. When installed a shortcut is provided to configure the firewall through a "Web-based Interface" i.e. settings are viewed and changed in your web browser, as opposed to a seperate utility.

Comment

Cheers i'll give it another try, ive just enabled everything in my bios to do with the 2 LAN ports, so now it can only be down to software.

Comment

Working...
              X