X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM questions

I'm thinking about purchasing either the MSI Neo Platinum or Gigabyte K8nxp
    I want to install 3Gb of ram but the sites say 2 GB@ 400
    Why would they have 3 dimm slots if I can only max out at 2Gb?
    And does the ram have to be double sided or single sided?

Re: RAM questions

I think it has to be double sided but RAM is not my area of expertiece. The answer is if you want to have 512 x 3 or 512 x 2 and 1024 x 1, although you dont need any more than 1GB anyway. 512 x 2 would be better than 1 stick of 1024MB.

If you realy want a gigabyte board for the socket 754 get the GA-K8NSNXP has more options than the GA-K8NXP. A link to it is in my signature.

Edit: It would be better to go with the 939 though if you can afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex407
      I want to install 3Gb of ram but the sites say 2 GB@ 400
      There are plenty of sites that support that much, but why on Earth would you want 3GBs of RAM in a socket 754 system? I'd be suprised if you could even make use of 2GBs...

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
        There are plenty of sites that support that much, but why on Earth would you want 3GBs of RAM in a socket 754 system? I'd be suprised if you could even make use of 2GBs...
        I want to eliminate page filing if I can. 2Gb ram 0mb page filing. Will it work? If I have ram to spare then why page file?

Comment

No, Windows needs the paging file. You will likely have serious problems without one, regardless of how much RAM you have. Don't waste your money trying to replace it. To speed it up, you could put it on it's on drive or at least it's own partition (either a FAT32 <2GBs or an NTFS partition) on a secondary drive used for storage.

Comment

I am curently using my 3.2 gig drive for paging space. Seems to work well, no problems.

Comment

A 3.2 GB physical drive? That would make it slower on most systems, assuming a faster HDD is present.

Comment

I have a 160GB S-ATA Maxtor, is that what you ment?

Comment

I'm talking about the 3.2GB drive you're using... Is that a 3.2GB drive, or a 3.2GB partition on a drive? A 3.2GB drive (not just a partition) is bound to be so slow that it would make more sense to just use your SATA drive.

Comment

I see your point, but I am using quite a bit of the SATA drive, about 90GB is used and I think I will be Using more of it soon, Also There is nothing on the 3.2GB drive, But i still see your point I will take that into consideration.

Comment

Yup, Windows relies on that page file. I tried making it 0 once and some games would not come up at all. I had it set to 512 min/512 max with 1.5 gigs RAM but under new games like Doom 3 I had to bump it up. I have system drives, game drives, and a storage drive. My swap file is on the storage drive.

But this brings to question, what about a RAM drive? I don't know if XP supports this old function, but it's worth a try.

I'm currently reading over this topic in a different forum...here's the link

http://help.lockergnome.com/index.ph...T&f=4&t=10760&

Seems that you need to download something to get it to work?

And another read....

http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread26909-1.html
                      Last edited by matm347; 11-22-2004, 04:14 PM.

Comment

IDE: 2x ATA 133 by nForce3 250, 2x ATA 133 by GigaRAID IT8212 RAID 0/1/0+1/JBOD up to 8 Devices
                        Slots: 1x AGP 4X/8X, 5x PCI, 1x DPS
                        Ports: 2xPS/2,2xCOM,1xLPT,2xLAN,6xUSB2.0(Rear 2),Audio Ports

can some explain this to me? im kinda lost on some of it...how can u have 8 IDE devices i thought only 4?.....whats a DPS slot?

Comment

Originally posted by eeps24
                          IDE: 2x ATA 133 by nForce3 250, 2x ATA 133 by GigaRAID IT8212 RAID 0/1/0+1/JBOD up to 8 Devices
                          Slots: 1x AGP 4X/8X, 5x PCI, 1x DPS
                          Ports: 2xPS/2,2xCOM,1xLPT,2xLAN,6xUSB2.0(Rear 2),Audio Ports

can some explain this to me? im kinda lost on some of it...how can u have 8 IDE devices i thought only 4?.....whats a DPS slot?
                          You have 2 devices for every IDE connection and that mainboard has 4 of them so you can mount up to 8 drives but you can install another IDE controller with another 4 IDE connections and have up to 16 drives (its possible to add more but you'll drown the PCI bus but Windows can handle up to 24 drives via IDE).
                          The DPS slot is for the additional power module that comes with that mainboard.

Comment

wow.....that just blew my mind away lol......because i thought a computer can only have 4 IDE devices and thats it..........i thought only 2 IDE controllers on the mother board,,,,,,or is that these new ex*****ice motherboards can handle more now? DPS? please elaborate, i dont understand

Originally posted by wayout44
                            You have 2 devices for every IDE connection and that mainboard has 4 of them so you can mount up to 8 drives but you can install another IDE controller with another 4 IDE connections and have up to 16 drives (its possible to add more but you'll drown the PCI bus but Windows can handle up to 24 drives via IDE).
                            The DPS slot is for the additional power module that comes with that mainboard.
                            Last edited by eeps24; 12-03-2004, 09:29 PM.

Comment

wow.....that just blew my mind away lol......because i thought a computer can only have 4 IDE devices and thats it..........i thought only 2 IDE controllers on the mother board,,,,,,or is that these new ex*****ice motherboards can handle more now?
                              Its called raid and if you get that board... do NOT try to put 8 hard drives on it.
                              I did it and now I am trying to figure out wtf is wrong with the 2 of the hard drives... It worked with 6 but not 8.

DPS? please elaborate, i dont understand
                              DPS= Dual Power system, it only exsists on Gigabyte motherboards, it sends an extra 3 phases of power to the CPU and is supposed to make it more stable, never had any problems with mine.... It does create a fair amount of heat howver, make sure you have good case cooling if you chose to use this.

Comment

Working...
                              X