Which Motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Motherboard?

Ok, this is my build so far: http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHis...VIEW&ID=773033
    I dont have a monitor and heatsink on there yet, I'm working on it, but I can't decide which motherboard to use. I've heard that in a few weeks more will be released for the socket 939 64's, should i wait for any of them? I have about $150-$175 i can spend on this. Thanks in advance.

Re: Which Motherboard?

Try this mainboard, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-468&depa=0

There will be some new chipsets announced very soon but they may not be available until just before Chrstmas.

Comment

Yes that board is sweet, i was going to recomend it as well but also take a look at the The Abit AV8 K8T800 Pro(939) take a look see waht you think, these two motherboards are very clos in proformance... if your into overclocking go eith the MSI board however.

Link To Abit AV8(939)
      http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...127-181&depa=1

Comment

The new VIA chipset likely due out pretty soon is the K8T890. Performance from what I've seen so far is about the same as the standard K8T800 Pro but it incorporates PCI Express. This means you would have to change video boards.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Waiting for PCI-E certainly would be a viable option.

But there are quite a few glaring problems with the rest of the system that I'll just meniton rather than getting into some long post about.

Value RAM is used when this is clearly a system that should be using something better, regardless of whether or not you're overclocking.

A $150 case is used. You can get a PSU and case that will be just as good for under $100, easily. Unless there's something really great about that case, consider a model without a PSU.

RAM spreaders are almost useless. Cooling RAM modules doesn't really help you with anything, usually. It can be useful for video card memory, but most quality memory modules will be able to achieve high speeds regardless of heat, and the heat from the RAM usually won't affect other part's overclockability much.

You should note that there is a cheaper version of Arctic Silver 5 at Newegg which contains less of the thermal compound, but still enough for at least a dozen applications (meaning more than you need).

Although I've never followed sound much, quality boards such as the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum have great onbaord sound. It almost seems wasteful to get a board with good onboard 8ch surround sound and then spend $100+ on a sound card.

For a heat sink, the Thermaltake Venus 12 seems to be pretty popular, and the specs look good.

You should also know that those fans are called "Tornado" for a reason. My 25db case fan is noticable without background nice, and you'd be hard pressed to drown out a 56db fan. If you don't mind noise, it's great.

With the motherboads, take strongly into consideration the features. The MSI has dual GbE, 8-channel surround sound, superior overclocking capabilities, and more SATA channels with more RAID capabilites. The Abit AV8 costs about $20 less and performs slightly better in some tests at stock speed (mostly gaming, although I've seen situations where the MSI wins out there), but again, it's significantly better with overclocking.

That's just assuming you don't wait for PCI-E. That won't do any good in the short run, but it will save money on a motherbaord upgrade a while down the road.

Comment

the only real reason you might want pci-e is for movie editing and stuff like that... PCI-E cards are also more expencive and agp 8x will out proform those cards at the moment... but who knows what they might do in the near future, my self im sticking with the agp stuff but thats always a matter of opinion. Just for an example SDRAM at the end of its era was faster that DDR when it "FIRST" came out, same thing with the p 3's when they died out, p 4's were unnoticably faster.... but now that they have evolved we love tham all(i prefer AMD of coase jus an example)

Comment

Thanks for all of your imput. I just posted this to get ideas, i know there are big flaws in my build, it was between conversion from a basic system with a p4 to a gaming rig for myself. I had the Tornado only because my friend purchased the same p4 i was looking at, and it has been in the low 60's for heat, which is not at all good. I love this other case, because of it's light weight. I will be moving it a lot so that will come in handy, it the design is great for cooling. Still need to decide on ram and an HSF, thanks for alll of your help so far, and if there are any other flaws, please let me know. Btw, i'm keeping the sound card because i have a klipsch 7.1 surround sound to put on it after i build it.

Comment

Working...
              X