Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual (940) socket 64FX Bit motherboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual (940) socket 64FX Bit motherboards?

I've been away from all the latest hardware since the first release of the 64 bit FX-51, which I purchased, and I'm wondering if there is a motherboard that has dual socket support for two of these processors... I've seen some that are dual processors but only support dual Opterons or a single AMD 64 FX... like this one http://www.iocombo.com/product/showp...productid=020O

Re: Dual (940) socket 64FX Bit motherboards?

To use dual CPU's you need to use Opterons as FX's are not capable of SMP.

Comment

Yup. That's correct. Thus you will not find any board that supports dual Athlon FX's, simply because the CPU's themselves don't have the capabilities to do SMP. And no, you can't trick it at all to make the FX's work in SMP.

Comment

What about normal 939 or 754 64's will that work? can you have a dual 939 athlon 64(non-fx)?

Comment

No. I don't know if AMD is going to move the Opteron line to socket 939 (if that's even possible), but current socket 754 and socket 939 processors can not be used as dual processors.

Comment

Originally posted by Amd_Lover2004
            What about normal 939 or 754 64's will that work? can you have a dual 939 athlon 64(non-fx)?
            I've already answered that earlier.
            Originally posted by wayout44
            To use dual CPU's you need to use Opterons

Comment

But that statement is wrong. There are Pentium IIIs, Celerons, Xeons, and Athlon MPs, to mention a few. Anyone reading it who didn't know already know what can be used for dual-processor computers would have assumed you just meant that socket 940 Athlon 64 won't work as dual processors.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                But that statement is wrong. There are Pentium IIIs, Celerons, Xeons, and Athlon MPs, to mention a few. Anyone reading it who didn't know already know what can be used for dual-processor computers would have assumed you just meant that socket 940 Athlon 64 won't work as dual processors.
                But in this particular thread we're only talking about AMD's K8 line of processors and not any others so that "statement" is very correct though the author of this thread may eventually get a system close to what he wants once the K9 line of dual core processors hits the market.

Comment

Working...
                X