Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hp users, or Intel folks, in here!!

:D

Ok, my roommate is wanting to upgrade his hp pavilion 7960. It has a p4 1.3ghz proc in it right now. he wants to bump it up, but we don't know how high he can go. HP's site is inconclusive at best. it DOES say that it is an asus mobo, but doesn't list the model. so i went to asus's site, looked up the intel 850 chipset, and it says he can go up to a 2.0ghz proc. (this mobo has RIMMs btw). Any thoughts? i don't see why it wouldn't work, but then again, I'm an AMD guys so...:shrug: thanks in advance!!

on edit, here is what hp's site says:

Intel Pentium (R) 4 / 1.3 GHz Processor
    Socket 423
    400 MHz FSB (Front Side Bus)
    [space saving sig]
    AMD 0wn3z j00!
    [/space saving sig]

I wouldn't upgrade, its a waste of cash. First of all, they dont make socket 423 P4's anymore, everything is socket 478, so you probably will have a very difficult time finding a CPU. Also, those HP cases are small and have close to no airflow. A faster CPU would put out more heat and could cause some damage to other harware. His best bet would be just to get a new system. You can build a pretty quick system now for under $500, so it's something to consider. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Originally posted by Mista K6
      I wouldn't upgrade, its a waste of cash. First of all, they dont make socket 423 P4's anymore, everything is socket 478, so you probably will have a very difficult time finding a CPU. Also, those HP cases are small and have close to no airflow. A faster CPU would put out more heat and could cause some damage to other harware. His best bet would be just to get a new system. You can build a pretty quick system now for under 0, so it's something to consider. : peace2: Mista K6
      well, i agree with you for the most part. if i had it my way, he would be sporting a whole new amd 2 ghz system for what he would pay for just a 2ghz proc, but why bother when he has plenty of ram and vid power at the moment. might as well just kick it up a bit. a 1.8ghz is 180 i think on pricewatch. way more than [b]i[/b[ would pay for it, (especially being intel) but hey, thats just me. :shrug:
      [space saving sig]
      AMD 0wn3z j00!
      [/space saving sig]

Comment

Well, I'm an AMD fanboy, so who knows how good my advice is, but, i'd honestly just leave it alone. Why upgrade? Like you said, hes got vid an ram power, and upgrading your proc isnt gonna really help anything except your F@H scores and Dixv compression. I really dont think a processor upgrade is ever a viable thing, maybe for the athlon 64 systems, but a few 100 mhz isnt gonna be worth 180 dollars. Just tell him to either #1 Spend the cash on some Lighting, maybe a new case, more silent fans or something. Or #2 just spend the cash on beer and hookers, better investment IMHO :)

Comment

considering the current cpu and the fact it's an HP, you probably don't have a chance in hell of getting any extra juice out of it. Getting new cpu for it is a real waste imo. He would be better off saving up his money and replacing the whole thing. You can build some rather peppy rigs fairly cheep these days. They don't win any benchmark contests, but it's more than enough for your typical student. Besides, it's been my experience that oem-type PCs just dont like to be upgraded, as wierd as that may sound.

If it was me, I'd either sell the HP to an unsuspecting freshman and put the money towards a new rig or keep the HP, build a new and better rig and dedicate the HP to our Folding@Home team. I personally prefer the second ;)

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard
            if i had it my way, he would be sporting a whole new amd 2 ghz system for what he would pay for just a 2ghz proc
            Right.. :rolleyes2

P4P800
            2.4C
            some nice 3200 or 3500

That gives you the most bang vs buck atm, and it kicks the ass outta my sig.. badly..

I havent come close to a single P4C results with this Amd, max overclocked or not.. That speaks for itself IMO. :)

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
              Right.. :rolleyes2
              dont believe me? see for yourself:

search for "423 2.0ghz processor" on pricewatch.

$399.

i just recently paid 380 (with tax/shipping) for:

AthlonXP 2600
              Epox 8rda+
              512mb Crucial DDR 400
              Thermaltake Silent Boost HSF
              Aopen Case

so tell me what is the better buy. a new 2ghz processor, or a new 2ghz system? (he already has an 80gb hdd, and geforce 4 v/c....)

:rolleyes2
              [space saving sig]
              AMD 0wn3z j00!
              [/space saving sig]

Comment

Well buying a s423 cpu isn't smart, don't even consider that..
                No matter of the price.

Best performance vs $ atm would be a new s478 P4C based comp. They beat the XP line and do not cost much. The proc cost a little more but perform better, the rest is the same price, really. So atm I'd go fo a new Intel.. :)

Good luck to ya friend..

Comment

Your main problem is that you are comparing a 2Ghz AMD to a 2Ghz Intel...big mistake, as we all know.

Anyway, A64 3000 / ASUS K8V Deluxe is about the same price as a P4 2.6c / ASUS P4C800 if you prefer the AMD side...its faster as well.

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
                    Well buying a s423 cpu isn't smart, don't even consider that..
                    No matter of the price.

Best performance vs $ atm would be a new s478 P4C based comp. They beat the XP line and do not cost much. The proc cost a little more but perform better, the rest is the same price, really. So atm I'd go fo a new Intel.. :)

Good luck to ya friend..
                    well, that is the whole point of this, that its a socket 423. if he is getting diff proc, and board, might as well get rid of the RIMMs while he's at it. oh well, he'll just have to deal i guess. neither of us need the fastest option out there, bang for the buck is the key.

back in the day, i wanted ultra performance, but then i got the new money pit/toy, and since then, the computer takes a back seat. this is where the pc money goes: ;)

[space saving sig]
                    AMD 0wn3z j00!
                    [/space saving sig]

Comment

should have shown them the NOS, so sexy... :lips:

anyway, as for the computer, it's all about what kind of budget he's working with. It doesn't really matter how the higher-end P4s compare to the A64 if it's out of his price range. When looking at mid to low range PCs the price gap between Intel and AMD becomes much more noticable and the bang/buck gets even better. Like I said, it's all about how much money he is willing to spend

Comment

Don't ya feel like ya bangin' ya head against a brickwall here Wiz with some of these? :?:

For the price of a 423 2.0ghz CPU and if ya m8's willin' then go with option 2 and kick ass plus he can always sell the left over pieces to recoup a bit on the deal. :devil:

Comment

Working...
                        X