Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two bad DIMM sockets, how much of a performance hit with memory in single channel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two bad DIMM sockets, how much of a performance hit with memory in single channel?

I have 2 bad dimm sockets on my motherboard which only allows me to run my memory in single channel mode. Am I losing all that much performance by not having dual channel? I'm a casual gamer by the way. I would prefer not to RMA the MB as all you get from MSI is a re-manufactured board as a replacement and this one is working fine all except for the #3 and #4 dimm sockets. I may just go and get another board, I've always had good luck with Gigabyte and would look for one of theirs to replace this one in a few months.

Not sure if my specs I listed in my profile will turn up in this post so here they are:

MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt
    Intel i5-3350P
    MSI HD7870, Dell 22" LCD
    G.Skill DDR3-1600 2x4GB
    Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD
    Seagate 1TB HDD

Re: Two bad DIMM sockets, how much of a performance hit with memory in single channel?

Swapped out the MSI MB with an ASUS Z77 board and re-ran PCMark8 benchmarks with dual channel memory and got almost exactly the same score as the MSI board in single channel mode. This is pretty much what I expected as dual channel memory only comes in to play with advanced games from what I could find searching the interwebs. On a aside I didn't have to re-install windows 8.1 as both boards used the same Intel drivers, just swapped them out and everything fired right up. Also now having to deal with the MSI RMA BS as they claim I damaged the board and want to charge me $45 to repair it. They know where they can put that $45 as I refuse to pay for it, I'll just take it back as is and use it in my Linux box.

New MB:

Asus P8Z77-V LX

Comment

Re: Two bad DIMM sockets, how much of a performance hit with memory in single channel?

Wow. Missed your original post.

Hello from another Michigander.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Working...
      X