• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half ram quantity detected

Motherboard: p4v88+
    bios version: p1.40
    cpu: sl7pk
    I recently bought a pair of this ram kvr400x64c3ak2/512 (this seems to be an high density module).
    From the bios I can see only 512 (2x256) mb of memory instead of 1024 (2x512) mb. I though that this motherboard supports high density modules, am I wrong or I just need to update the bios (or something similar)?
    Thanks

Re: Half ram quantity detected

You said 2x 256 instead of 2x512MB. If the installation is complete, allowing the system to boot to desktop then the main reason of half memory detected is because of wrong label by the vendor either intended or mismatched. In other word, instead of 2x of 512MB modules you've got a 2x of 256MB sticks. The sticker on the module should give a hint of what you're having.

So far I haven't came across any story/report about a module with one defect chip (out of 4,8 or more) allowing the pc to boot with half of its original size. Oblivious I may be about a crippled module but I'm sorry so far I heard none. Try check the module data through cpu-z. It should tell what memory you're having at the SPD tab.

With CPU-Z. It should look like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	753949

Others suggested:
    i) boot with a single stick, check the size during BIOS boot, Window's report (Window button + Pause Break or Task Manager's performance Tab) and cpuz then run MemTest (sometimes CPU-Z can read a bad module SPD). Do it for every stick.
    ii) use different slot due to a dead slot
    Last edited by PedangGila; 10-08-2013, 09:30 PM.

"If Andes is just a grain then take my words with it"

Comment

Actually I have no s.o. installed because I'm waiting for the graphic card but I can see clearly, from the bios, 256 mb on each slot (in differents motherboard, with 1 or 2 slot installed), so I doubt about a dead slot.
      Referring to this article (regarding high/low density ram module): "your PC may only recognise it as HALF the size at 512MB or most of the time it will not work.".
      I just thought that this motherboard supports high density modules but I've got no reply from the asrock support.

EDIT
      From another mainboard I got no useful infos by using cpu-z so I sent the infos on the stickers to kingston to verify the modules
      Last edited by mrday; 10-09-2013, 03:42 AM.

Comment

The kit is 2x256 not 2x512, damn.

Comment

From cpu-z, there's a module size there. Sorry to hear that mate. I hope you're paying the right price for it or else you'll need a purchase receipt to justify yours.

"If Andes is just a grain then take my words with it"

Comment

Working...
          X