Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does DDR3 Memory Speed Really Matter with Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does DDR3 Memory Speed Really Matter with Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge?

I know I said Id maybe put up a cinebench test..which actually due to its operation might show a substantial difference ,but really couldnt be bothered dloading it and I could only find a 3 year old editon.

This unigine heaven comparison probably shows a realistic expectation for 1600 vs 2133 memory in gaming

gx cards have a v mild overclock in both cases,the same overclock.The gx will take a much larger oclock ,but I wanted to replicate normal gaming(no screaming fans).

same warm up period etc. to all intents and purposes the only difference is the memory speed,and timings.1600mhz vs 2133mhz:

settings in this thread the maxxmem results http://forums.tweaktown.com/overcloc...tml#post448839

Wow!,what a difference eh. the only major one is the min fps..about what youd expect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uniflu.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	753494
    Last edited by kick; 01-22-2013, 08:07 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

I'll assume that the 2nd pic is the higher frequency memory. Getting a slightly better minimum frame rate is a slight performance gain. What were the timings of the two different speeds?

Your FPS topped at 75, did you have vsync on?
      Antec 300, E8400/CO-6 4.05GHz CPUID 1.344/BIOSvcore1.3750 VTT1.320 CPURefv0.835/0.76 PLL1.57 Cooled by~
      DD-CPX-Pro
      12V Pump, 3/8"ID-1/2"OD tube, Dual bay reservoir,
      86 Camaro Heatercore, x2 140mm push/pull, MPC-CPU Quad core WB. Hot Day 35c/58c IBT
      KHX8500D2K2/4G 2x2GB HyperX 1080MHz/CAS5-5-5-5-15-tRD9-tRFC54-tWTR13-tRRD3-tRD_WD9-tRTP7-tREF4213-CR2T DRAMv2.2V DRAMRefv1.1 -Getting tighter!
      GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 F12 MCH1.3 MCHRefv0.835 I/O ICHcore - eVGA GTX275 @ 691/1512/1224
      Games, Media, Programs - WD5001AALS, System - WD500AAKS, Corsair TX650

Comment

In three weeks I will bye 64 years old and take a lot of medication that slows my mind down, so, I do not care as much about speed as much as I did when I was 58 years old and still playing 1st person shooters. However, just over two years ago I built a Ivy Bridge based computer for a friend, an i5-3570 CPU [not the K series, and not overclocked] and AMD HD 6950 video card - it was FAST, VERY FAST compared to my Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9650 rig with the same AMD HD 6950 video card I had, and am still using.

We both know my old computer was socket 775 and used DDR2. The speed difference in EVERYTHING was much different, however, that was DDR2, not DDR3 [and yes, I ran benchmarks, however cannot remember the numbers - and it was not benchmarks that were much higher with the Ivy Bridge, it was everything that ran faster and smoother].

It did prove the massive superiority of the sub-systems in an Ivy Bridge build compared to socket 775.

As to can I see any difference with my CAS 8 1866 DDR3 compared to my friend's 1333 CAS 9, The answer is I do not know. His computer was not overclocked and mine is. And, I built my computer over a year after building his, so, the benchmarks for his computer are lost.

I do know that the only time a person will see a real world faster response from faster memory is by using programs that are heavily dependent upon data transfer to and from RAM, and then only with large files. Small files finish so fast that it does not matter what DDR3 you are using.

I have changed RAM speed and see NO difference in game play [all my games are locked at a refresh rate of 60, so no difference found in games]. My SSD plays a greater role in quick online gaming, and then faster is almost completely do to entering different zones or getting into MMO games faster.
        MB: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H, CPU: Intel 3570K @ 4.4GHz, Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 140mm x 2 SSO CPU Cooler, TIM: GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound [NOTE: I use Arctic Silver Arcticlean Thermal material Remover & Cleaner (1,2)], RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 24GB of 1866 CAS 9, SSD: Samsumg 850 Pro, Intel 335 series 240GB, HDs: WD Black 4TB, Video Card: MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE, Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z, Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 660 watt, Case: Cooler Master 922 [with a 3rd 200mm fan in door], Windows 7 Pro, XS 1500 Back-Up UPS by APC

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
          I checked out memory prices last week and the high priced stuff is about twice as expensive as the mid priced offerings. I think your best bang for the buck along with performance will be to start with 2x4GB of 1600MHz memory for starters and move up to 16GB (total) if you want to use a RamDisk** setup to speed up your system. Forget the good ol' days when low latency DDR2 memory was best, everything I've seen with Sandy Bridge points to the fact that lower latencies don't really matter. I look at Ivy Bridge as an improvement on Sandy Bridge, but not a quantum leap in performance. I assume that gaming is your primary need for speed/performance.

If you're going for a high cpu overclock, it looks like you'll need to spend a bit more money on a cpu water cooling setup that is better than the Corsair H100 or the Antec 920. Hopefully Boondocks will report soon on how his new w/c setup (~$165) works to tame cpu temps.

If you don't compromise and do it my way, you're gonna be in deep doo-doo
          Just how bad does Texas steer manure smell?

** Ramdisk is freeware up to 4GB, if you want a larger ramdisk, you'll have to pay the piper.

Something happened to my last reply, I think it went to Mars or somewhere out there.

Higher quality, lower latency, faster RAM helps overclocks above about 4.2GHz with Sandy Bridge. No need to worry about lock-ups or glitches at higher overclocks. And, some RAM works better on a particular motherboard than another, so, people have to know what combo to use for higher overclocks.

I have ran several AIDA64 runs and example of temps with my system [air cooled CPU], room temperature 70 degrees F: Core 0 = 62C [143F], Core1= 65C [149F], Core 2 = 64C [147F], Core 3 = 59 degrees C [138F].

I have only an average Ivy Bridge CPU at best, so, temps are higher because I have to use a base CPU core voltage of 1.270v, which is increased to an actual 1.284v via aggressive BIOS settings I made.

My CPU can overclock higher with the cooler I have, however, above 4.6GHz the CPU runs hotter than I want - for long life I do not like anything above 65 degrees C.

Note: I edited my post to try to make core temps easier to read, and again to explain the temps I limit myself to for long CPU life.
          Last edited by Arty; 04-11-2013, 06:49 PM.
          MB: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H, CPU: Intel 3570K @ 4.4GHz, Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 140mm x 2 SSO CPU Cooler, TIM: GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound [NOTE: I use Arctic Silver Arcticlean Thermal material Remover & Cleaner (1,2)], RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 24GB of 1866 CAS 9, SSD: Samsumg 850 Pro, Intel 335 series 240GB, HDs: WD Black 4TB, Video Card: MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE, Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z, Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 660 watt, Case: Cooler Master 922 [with a 3rd 200mm fan in door], Windows 7 Pro, XS 1500 Back-Up UPS by APC

Comment

Working...
          X