How many types of ram are there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many types of ram are there?

Please bare with me my name is learning. I'm trying to upgrade the ram on an old HP compaq pc which came with windows ME in 2001. I haven't gotten the numbers off it yet because it's being sent to me. As I search for memory sticks for sale I notice there only seems to be 2 types. sd and DDR. Ane when I refer to the pc number I believe that would be the speed. I see DDR that is pc4200 and I asume thats 4200 mhz then I see DDR that is pc2-4200. Don't know what that means. When I find out the FSB of the motherboar that should tell me if I can run sd100, 133 ext right? Am I right about this or does this have nothing to do with memory? I also have questions about size 256, 512 but that can wait till I get some model numbers.
    Thanks Tom
    Last edited by learning; 07-31-2010, 01:09 PM.

Re: How many types of ram are there?

In the last decade or so there has been a lot of different ram specs (sd, ddr, ddr2, ddr3. rdram, etc. as well as a multitude of speeds and sizes for each). Your best bet is to wait until you have the unit in hand and then do some research for your particular model. Most boards are limited in flexibility regarding maximum ram size as well as speed and form factor so you need to know exactly what your particular computer requires.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Here's a handy chart of most computer parts to help you identify the ram type also, once you get your hands on it.

Computer Hardware Chart | Technibble

Comment

And here's another link that may help you.

DDR MEMORY RAM, DDR PC2100, PC2700, PC3200, PC4200. DDR RAM Memory
        Gizas! what a mess :)

Comment

Thanks Bam, that website was great now it's easy to identify

Comment

I recieved the computer today and it is a HP compaq presario 5000 model 5bwme2. The north bridge is FW82810E The I/O controler is FW82801AA. with this info I tried to determin what motherboard is used, so I can see what upgrades can be made. HP's websight was of little use since they list different configurations of the same model number and give no motherboard specs. I believe it's an Intel motherboard but there are no markings that yeild. Any help would be deeply appreciated.
            Tom

Comment

Also this motherboard has a PGA370 socket with a celeron processor. I'd like to replace it with a 1 GHZ P3 but again dont know if it will support it. the celeron is 800/128/100 if I understand this correctly the 800 = the speed as in 100 mhz 128 KB is the cache and the 100 is support for FSB. Please correct me if i'm wrong. HP's websight says I can upgrade to a pentium III 1ghz 133 FSB. I just don't know what system buss means. any help?
              Thanks Tom
              Last edited by learning; 08-06-2010, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I take it this machine is still in working order? If so, you could try running something like Everest to determine motherboard model etc.

Comment

Thanks I'll try this

Comment

I finaly found the specs for the motherboard 6513WU and I hope my problems are over. I'll upgrade to Pentium III and install 512 mb of sdram at 133mhz.
                    Thanks Tom

Comment

Working...
                    X