My DDR3 doesn't show up in BIOS or Windows sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DDR3 doesn't show up in BIOS or Windows sometimes

Hello to everyone! Some time ago I realized that my system doesn't boot with all RAM I have in my computer (from signature). I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and in System it shows me sometimes 3GB, sometimes 2GB usable of 3GB and sometimes 1GB usable of 3GB, in Task Manager the same. I think it was a problem with the OS but in BIOS is the same problem: sometimes it shows me 1024MB, 2048MB or 3072MB.
    The memory sticks are in triple channel in the correct slots (2,4,6). I checked them with MemTest and with the Windows7 memory utility and it has no problems. I pulled out the memory modules and it appers to be ok.

What can be the problem and the solution...?

Now I want to say something a little bit offtopic but maybe...who knows. I have problems with my Blu-Ray drive - it can't burn CDs, DVDs and when can write (because sometimes can write!) it can't read that discs well. I went with it at warranty and I was surprised to see that it works - at least so I was told. I reistalled the OS, drivers, I changed my BIOS settings (I run in AHCI mode on Intel ICH10) and I still can't burn with it. This happened from a few months... I write that here not to make offtopic, but maybe it helps, I am worried about my motherboard... I hope to be ok.

Thank you for replays and I hope to solve my problem here.
    Attached Files
    Desktop: Intel i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz | Titan Fenrir Evo | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz CL9 | Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB| Seagate 500GB Enterprise ST3500320NS
    Samsung F3 1TB HD103SJ | Antec Twelve Hundred | Optiarc 7260S | Fortron Epsilon 700W | Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW | Logitech 2.1 Z2300 THX | Logitech G5 & Logitech G15
    Netbook: Acer Aspire One AOD255E-N55CQcc Brown | Intel Atom N550 | 2GB DDR3 | Intel GMA 3150 | 320GB HDD | 10.1" Glossy LED | 6 Cell @ Up To 8 Hours | 1.3MP Webcam

Even if others did not consider that you have any value - for your dog you're the center of the universe.
    My number one rule is hope at all good in the world but to expect everything to be worse.

Re: My DDR3 doesn't show up in BIOS or Windows sometimes

Does anyone know the answer to my problem? Sorry for doubleposting but I need to know and it's something important... With BluRay Drive I tried everything and with memory modules I tried what I wrote in the first post.
    What can be the problem?
    Desktop: Intel i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz | Titan Fenrir Evo | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz CL9 | Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB| Seagate 500GB Enterprise ST3500320NS
    Samsung F3 1TB HD103SJ | Antec Twelve Hundred | Optiarc 7260S | Fortron Epsilon 700W | Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW | Logitech 2.1 Z2300 THX | Logitech G5 & Logitech G15
    Netbook: Acer Aspire One AOD255E-N55CQcc Brown | Intel Atom N550 | 2GB DDR3 | Intel GMA 3150 | 320GB HDD | 10.1" Glossy LED | 6 Cell @ Up To 8 Hours | 1.3MP Webcam

Even if others did not consider that you have any value - for your dog you're the center of the universe.
    My number one rule is hope at all good in the world but to expect everything to be worse.

Comment

This is often due to either bent CPU Socket pins, uneven CPU heatsink mounting pressure, or incorrect QPI/Vtt-Dram voltages. Are you setting the BIOS up yourself? Have you checked the CPU Socket for bent pins?

As for your Blue ray, did you try burning with different programs to be sure it isn't the program causing issues, or different brand/model media?

Comment

The CPU is fine, I think. My CPU is mounted over one year and a half and it doesn't make me any problems. Few months ago I replaced the stock cooler with a Zerotherm Core92 (with pushpins) - it doesn't do a big pressure over motherboard.
        In BIOS everything is default in this "chapter" but the DDRam voltage and frequency - i put 1.64V and 1600Mhz (I put the multiplier from 10 to 12 if I remember well). From when I start to set it like that it doesn't make me any problems for a loong time until that.
        I don't know what to say, from some days everything is fine - it shows me everytime 3GB, not less.

Ok, somethimes after a power failure - when my PC it's forced closed because the electricity in my zone it's down I see a red window in BIOS where is wrote something about voltages/frequency and a possible failure of overclock. I load my saved profile and everything it's ok again. I think that this is not a problem and it's not a problem for memory.

As for BluRay I tried Windows utility, Ashampoo and Nero. DVDs, CDs, Verbatim (these are very good) and other brands like Traxdata, Benq - what I have to say it's that I have a top with 10discs DVD-R Verbatim. Until my drive started to make these problems I write some DVDs from the top and everything was ok but now it isn't - even with the discs from the same top. AHCI, IDE, drivers from Windows Update, from Intel from AHCI - everything was useless.

I feel kinda helpless because these problems are not something clear - it works or not, or it's because of that or of that. I tried a lot of thing and the problems are still here, sometimes it's ok, sometimes not.
        I'm sorry for my english, it's not that good - in special with that hardware names.

Comment

Since you replaced your cooler that might have bent some pins, did you remove the CPU when you changed coolers?

It could just be the pressure like you mentioned, or settings.

Red window in MIT Section means settings are wrong, if you post me your full settings maybe I could advise you better settings that would keep all your memory working.

There is a template in my signature for you to give me your full settings, BIOS version, hardware, ect. Fill that out and I'll advise back.

Comment

I didn't remove the CPU when I changed the cooler and my new cooler is not so heavy to make problems, I think.
            This Red windows in first BIOS screen if I remember well not just in MIT Section appears only after a power failure, in rest everything is fine.

Now I sold my video card (HD4870x2) and I don't have one until tomorrow when I will buy a Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB. After that I can give all that information about BIOS (my version is F12).
            Thank you!

Comment

OK, I just installed my new graphics card and I started to write in the template all the settings from BIOS.
              Until today I didn't have CPU overclock and that voltage to VTT and DDRam.

The CPU overclock I want to stay if is OK as settings because it seems to be stable and all temperatures are fine.
              I changed the DDR Voltage because I just see that I have 3 stick of Kingston HyperX KHX12800D3/1G which needs 1.9V not like I was thinking - KHX1600C9D3K3/3GX which needs 1.65V. I don't know if is OK, if is safe.
              I heard that the difference between DDR Voltage and QPI Voltage should be like 0.3V-0.5V - and now it is.
              If I opened my case I see another thing: DebugLED from motherboard is FF always in desktop but the system works, it doesn't make any sound (beeps) besides one beep at system power up.

Here is the template:
              Code:
              Advanced CPU Features:
              CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20x]
              Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
              CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
              CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Enabled]
              C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
              CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
              CPU EIST Function ............................ [Enabled]
              Virtualization Technology ................... [Disabled]
              Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
              QPI Link Speed .............................. [Auto 5.76Ghz]
              Uncore Frequency ..........................  [Auto 3200Mhz]
              Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
              Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
              BCLK Frequency (MHz) ..................... [160]
              PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [Auto]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
              CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
              PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
              CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
              IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
              Performance Enhance ...................... [Turbo]
              System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [10]
              DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Auto]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
              ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
              CAS Latency Time ......................
              tRCD .......................................
              tRP .........................................
              tRAS .......................................

Below values may be left in Auto if you like, generally this is fine.  For those users who DO Set advanced timings manually, please see some of my thoughts and findings about these settings and rules here
              XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Gigabyte EX58-UD5/Extreme Discussion Thread

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
              tRC ........................................  (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)
              tRRD .......................................
              tWTR ...................................... (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)
              tWR ........................................
              tWTP .......................................   (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)
              tWL ........................................    (tWL Must be CAS Latency -1)
              tRFC .......................................
              tRTP .......................................
              tFAW ......................................
              Command Rate (CMD) ................

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
              Round Trip Latency ...................

B2B CAS Delay ..........................

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
              Load Line Calibration ................. [Enabled]
              CPU Vcore ............................... [1.1V]
              QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............ [1.355V]
              CPU PLL 1.800v ....................... [Auto]

MCH/ICH
              PCIE 1.500v ...........................[Auto]
              QPI PLL 1.100v .......................[Auto]
              IOH Core 1.100v .....................[Auto]
              ICH I/O 1.500v .......................[Auto]
              ICH Core 1.1v ........................[Auto]

DRAM
              DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. [1.84V]
              DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Later Edit: Even with higher voltage I have the same problem. The memory modules was switched between them, tested with MemTest/Windows7 Memory Test. The slots seems to be fine and the pins the same.
              Last edited by d4m4g3; 08-13-2010, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I would sell that memory kit and get a 1.65V rated one, 1.8-1.9V is not healthy for your CPU and is probably part of the problems here

FF debug LED is normal, that is how it should always look in windows.

Comment

Working...
                X