Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dual channel with 3X1GB DDR2 667 sticks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual channel with 3X1GB DDR2 667 sticks?

hi, currently i'm running my ram (2x1GB DDR 667 Kingston) in dual channel mode with my gigabyte mobo GA-M61P-S3. My question is, suppose i add another stick of 1GB DDR2667 Kinston Ram, the same stick as the other two sticks, will i be able to run in dual channel with 3 sticks of 3GB Ram?

My CPU is an Athlon 64 X2 3800+

Re: dual channel with 3X1GB DDR2 667 sticks?

DDR2 ram is so cheap now and i'm so tempted to buy another stick....thats why i ask lol.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot run dual channel mode with 3 sticks; and your current pair that is running dual channel will slow to thee speed of the third module you add. Kinda like having a pair of graphics cards running in either Crossfire or SLI... they share the workload to enhance speeds.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

so i would need to get 2 more sticks 1GB? then i can have 2 sets of dual channel ram? as in 4GB total.

Comment

....or 2 sticks of 512 would do the trick as well. Anything over 3GB will prolly not be properly used anyway unless you are using a 64 bit O/S.
          Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

ah ok thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X