4 GB of DDR RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 4 GB of DDR RAM

[quote] Make sure your hard drive is completely defragmented, your pagefile is at least 4GB (I might even use more on a system with 4GBs of RAM), and that you don't have any applications running in the background. You should be under twenty processes in Task Manager before you load into the game to be absolutely certain a background application isn't hurting performance. You can probably get away with a lot more than that, but you want to nail this problem before you try.[quote]

I will try increasing my pagefile. And at this time i currently have 43 processes, 7 of which are my startup eg. Antivirus... The rest are system stuff

Make sure your video card, chipset, and sound card drivers are up to date. Make sure the game has the latest patch. Try reinstalling TES4 if all else fails.
    Every think is up-to-date and ive already re-installed Oblivion a number of times

[quote] You could also try different games to see if the problem is restricted to Oblivion.

No other game has this kind of problem Battlefield 2 and 2142 are at max settings with 60-80fps

[quote]All that said, what resolution and settings do you have in Oblivion? Although that system can handle almost anything maxed out, Oblivion at the right resolution with the right settings could bring it to its knees.[quote]

My Oblivion resolution is set at 1280 X 720 Widescreen (i need it set to this as i have my Graphics card set to HDTV) I have changed the setting again and again, from low to extreme and there is no improvements

[quote] BTW, what model hard drive do you have?[quote]

300gb Maxtor SATA, model no. ST380015A, Firmware 4.04 (master Drive)

There seems to be a problem, i have tuneup utillities 2007. I have two HDDs..
    One the master (300gb) the other the slave (80gb).. Now windows says that the 300gb is the master and the 80gb the slave (this is correct)..but it says that the master is on the primary slave ATA and the Slave is on the Primary Master ATA..wtf... Ive checked with the BIOS and it says the master is on the master and the slave with the slave... Now the strange part... Tuneup says that the Master is the Slave and the Slave is the Master and that they are both Ultra ATA drives... Which is wrong.. The 300gb is a SATA 300mb-1gb/sec while the 80gb is a Ultra ATA at 133mb/sec..... This is why i think windows has a problem, cuse the last time i checked a SATA plug cannot fit into a 40pin IDE plug..
    Whats wrong, could this be causing some issues with app like Oblivion... Also for some reason windows reconises the 300gb HDD as a removable hardware

Please help me to fix this problem..

Comment

Re: 4 GB of DDR RAM

I wouldn't worry about the HDD problem. I'd imagine it has something to do with how Windows recognizes SATA drives. It recongizes your SATA drive as removable hardware because it is removable hardware. The Serial-ATA specification calls for hot-swap capabilities.

IMO 43 processes is a serious problem. Believe me, 36 of them are not "system stuff." No Windows XP system needs more than 30, and you certainly don't need more than 25 after startup. There's a lot going on on that computer.

That said, I think it is likely an Oblivion-specific problem. Try looking at that guide and try messing with some of the .ini tweaks and possible the texture mods. You'll spend half an hours doing it and wind up with better performance and better visuals.
      Last edited by Yawgm0th; 02-25-2007, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X