Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding a third stick of ram into my machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Adding a third stick of ram into my machine?

Have checked the hardware section and it says that I have a gig of ram so that is correct. Have also reinstalled video drivers. Not sure how to get those specs you wanted to check so if you could let me know! This is the information I can when the computer blue screens when I'm not trying a game. Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF658EB18, 0x00000000) Win32k.sys - address BF8332AC base at BF800000, DateStamp 4010853b

Comment

Go into your BIOS and try increasing the timings and voltage on your RAM. Trying running the new stick just on it's own. Most importantly, if you have a floppy drive you need to use memtest86+ to test the RAM. A link to it is located in my signature.

Comment

Right I took out the old ram and the new stick works fine on it's own. I then added one of the 256meg sticks and it works fine. Unfortunately when I add the third stick it still seems a bit unstable. I think perhaps I may just have to plump for 700meg which is still and improvement and has vastly improved my gameplay experience in Planetside!

Comment

just to rule out anything else, plug in the seemingly unstable 256MB stick into the first RAM slot by itself and run memtest86+ for a couple hours, or overnight

if it doesn't detect any errors, you have something else going on

Comment

Ok a bit confused, have downloaded memtest. Do I have to burn the iso to a disc or is there a version that runs with out doing that?

Oh just read the person above's comment again, and I don't have a floppy drive :$
            Last edited by tage; 08-15-2006, 07:14 PM.

Comment

there is a cd bootable version I believe, and I think it is possable to boot off of a Thumb drive is your motherboard is able to do that(I know mine can, but does not need to)

Comment

Oh got it working anyhow. Burnt it to a cd and when I booted up my comp this morning it ran memtest as the cd was in the drive i think!

Will run it on the the older stick tonight then :)

Comment

Ran that and all my memory sticks are fine so I went to The website for VIA technologies and unfortunately found out that my 2nd and 3rd slot "share" memory so that is why I'm unable to use the 3 slots at once. Seems a bit pointless to have a third slot if you ask me though!

Ahwell should be updating with some second hand gear from a friend in the next month or two so all is not lost.

Thank you to everybody for their help :)

Comment

Working...
                  X