need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice

i want to replace my cheapo ram with 1024 of the fastest PC3200 corsair memory avaible. theres so many different modules that i can't choose... which is the fastest low latency pc3200 ram?

Re: need advice

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-522&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-435&depa=1

The top one has a bit better timing speeds but the bottom one is made to work at 1T command settings. To be honest, both will probably work at this setting. Be advised, you're looking at over $280 for both of these. There are cheaper options available but if you want the best and want to spend the money, there ya go.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

What a waste of money that would be... You could replace the video card for that much. You could replace the motherboard and processor for that much. Both options would be better for performance than getting another 512MB of RAM with timings that are better...

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
        What a waste of money that would be... You could replace the video card for that much. You could replace the motherboard and processor for that much. Both options would be better for performance than getting another 512MB of RAM with timings that are better...
        frame rates do nothing if it isnt smooth.

Comment

High quality RAM isn't going to make it "smooth." I get very smooth gameplay on CAS 2.5 POS RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
            http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-522&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-435&depa=1

The top one has a bit better timing speeds but the bottom one is made to work at 1T command settings. To be honest, both will probably work at this setting. Be advised, you're looking at over $280 for both of these. There are cheaper options available but if you want the best and want to spend the money, there ya go.
            what's the difference between the top one and the TWINX1024-3200XLPRO?

Comment

The top one has slightly better timings.

If you have really crappy RAM, you'd be better off selling and replacing it. This Corsair would be pretty good without breaking the bank. I woldn't recommend getting a GB, though. That's not really the next logical upgrade if you're still using a 9800 Pro and Athlon XP. Even if you're really picky about loading times, there are still other areas in more desperate need of upgrading. But, if you really want, you can just get two of those and save yourself almost $60 compared to the other stuff, which is a rediculous amount to pay for slightly better tRCD and tRP timings. Or, you could save even more by getting Kingmax PC3500. It'll run at slightly higher speeds than the Corsair I posted (I say slightly because the Corsair OCs past PC3500 speeds) at the cost of a lower CAS latency. It also means another $60 if you get a GB...
              Last edited by Yawgm0th; 09-16-2004, 06:03 PM.

Comment

The top one has slightly better timings.
                erm, they both have 2-2-2-5 timings. the only difference i can spot is LEDs...

Comment

also, what is IT?

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglee
                    erm, they both have 2-2-2-5 timings. the only difference i can spot is LEDs...
                    Maybe you need to look again. This is 2-3-2 and this has 2-2-2.

Comment

Neither of the two sets I linked to have the LED lights. They add to the cool factor but are pretty much useless otherwise.
                      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                      My Toys

Comment

Anyway, if you're going to waste your money and do this with expensive CAS 2 modules, there are better chocies anyway.

This OCZ got up to 308FSB (616DDR) in a recent Anandtech article. I'd say it's just about the best RAM on the market. Great timings and overclockablility.

Comment

Maybe you need to look again. This is 2-3-2 and this has 2-2-2.
                          I was talking about the XLpro...

Comment

Working...
                          X