No announcement yet.

How do you connect to internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys...i have come to know a lot about computers, but not about one of their most inmportant functions, internet connection. I am interested in fast connection speeds, but my rurality prohibits most forms except for i think satellite. (yeah...i am that remote)

HEre is my question......i know that someone said that there will be a company putting up a tower not far from where i live that will provide high-speed internet acces. What kind of connection is that? I would appreciate your respone.

The one and only Chaotic Chaos!!!!

Comment

Couldn't be DSL as that uses your phone line (which I'm guessing you already have). Do you have cable TV in your area yet (you said rural) ? If not, that might be it...
      SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos
        Guys...i have come to know a lot about computers, but not about one of their most inmportant functions, internet connection. I am interested in fast connection speeds, but my rurality prohibits most forms except for i think satellite. (yeah...i am that remote)

HEre is my question......i know that someone said that there will be a company putting up a tower not far from where i live that will provide high-speed internet acces. What kind of connection is that? I would appreciate your respone.

The one and only Chaotic Chaos!!!!
        OK im going to guess that they are going to put up a new cell phone tower there since that is the most common type of tower out there unless its weather or something but then it would not be relevent. if they are putting up a cell phone tower then u are looking at dial up internet through a cell phone.... but you said it was high speed so another thing they could be doing is putting up the cell phone tower with a wireless high speed network this stuff is very new the way it works is like a wireless internet connection except of a regular lan card you have a wireless cable internet modem which is the size of a regular modem but it has a built on antena and a jack for an extrnal antena which you might have to use depenging on signal strength, the speed of it is like regular broadband equal to a cable modem so you can say you have a cable modem

Comment

Maxpowers is correct. They are not putting up cable. It is going to be some kind of a wireless setup. And yes, it is for cell phone coverage too. I can't wait til it is constructed. A nice Christmas present!!!!!! Anyways....thanx Maxpowers.

Chaos

Comment

I run a cable modem with 3mb throughput, and it is only $35US a month.
            It is flyin'...
            I can download an mp3 in about 5-6 seconds. Not bad since I was stuck on dial up in Tokyo for 5 years. (where I lived they didn't allow anything else).

So it is NICE. I couldn't imagine a NEED for anything faster.

Chez

Comment

Weird, in Sweden we can get 10Mbit for 19-25$
              That is impressive. What type of connection is that? You can thank your government for recognizing the phenomonal Capitalistic benefits of capable internet. I'm sure Sweden is attracting many of the world's premier tech companies.

Investing in the Internet is probably THE best investment any government can make. I bet it earns back 20$ for ever 1$ spent.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by [b]E^vol
                  Ya, I'm paying cdn for my "high speed" cable connection, I'm tempted to pay the cdn for the "extreme high speed" connection.
                  Well, as of today I'm on that "Extreme High Speed" I had mentioned before...The "High Speed" was a 3.1 Mbps service, where as I now have a 4 Mbps service and my u/l is twice as fast as before. I have not seen a speed difference for d/l, but I haven't d/l'd all that much so far. Also, I had a 5Gb u/l limit & 15Gb d/l limit, Now both are unlimited !
                  SPAM Special Ops

Comment

I have cable 10mbps and it still counted as basic up here in canada, alberta
                    MOTHER BOARD : GIGABYTE K8N-SLI NForce 4
                    PROCESSOR: AMD X2 3800+
                    GRAPHICS CARD: EVGA 7800GT 256mb
                    PSU: Enermax 535W
                    MEMORY: Kingston 4x 512 pc3200 = 2GB
                    Hard Drive: Seagate 300GB HDD 7,2000 RPM
                    MONITOR: 19" Sony
                    windows XP: home

Comment

Working...
                    X