Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a faster server get things rollin'...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a faster server get things rollin'...?

I have'nt got mutch knowledge about networking but i'm slowly learning day by day. : peace2:

Here's the deal, i have been running with my dsl modem connected to a P3 650 Mhz and then shared that connection to my P4 2,26 Ghz computer, i have also used this connection for filesharing and stuff, for example i use to burn records over the Lan etc. Ever since i set up this network my P4 has been acting alot more "slow" within windows, now it takes some time to open explorer and other programs that before just started within a second or two. My question is, is my P4 computer affected by the P3 limited system speed? Or will this problem occour no matter what system i use as the main comp that shares the Lan/dsl over to my P4? I just sold of the P3 to replace it with something faster like a P4PE or Nforce2 so that my girlfriend will be able to play her games better, anyway i wonder if this is a stupid way to set up a Lan and if i should get me one of those reuter's and share the dsl that way instead? But then how bout the file sharing? Sorry but a man got to learn some day huh...

I had it set up like this when it caused me a slower P4:
    (Wich btw runs great now when i run it stand alone again.)

No the PIII will not limit your network or internet as it is much faster than both others together. ;)

Your prob sounds similar to the way this P4 responds while I have SETI runnin' and that is that it's slow to respond so look at what processes ya have runnin' in the background as this maybe the cause (I absolutely don't get this effect on any of my other PC's). :(
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Holy mc a moly!

If we decide to go for the nforce2 solution we will be experimenting a little and see what we get. My relatively small amount of ram in the P4 is'nt helping either i guess...

The most exiting thing would be to se how the nforce2 keeps up with the P4. If an Nforce2 system gives me better fps within games than maybe i'll take that one to my gaming and do the audio/video encoding on the P4. If you haven't figured it out already; Speed is my life!

Comment

Well I'm still of the feelin' that the Athlon feels just a brute 5.0L V8 where the P4 feels more like a turboed 2.0L 4cylinder and that's the only way that I can describe the feelin' that I get from comparin' mine. : peace2:

Mind you I can't wait to get this next XP2600+, 8RDA+, XMS3500 and another GF4 Ti4200 together and really see for myself what the ulitmate Athy combo can do. :devil win

Comment

I had this in my thoughts for a while:
          ASUS A7N8X nForce2
          AMD Athlon XP2700+ Thoroughbred 2170MHz
          2X Corsair CMX256A-3200C2 XMS3200 256Mb DDR PC3200 CAS2 400MHz with Heatsink (AMD OK)
          Ti4600
          Western Special Edition 80 Gb

Now i now that it would be better to get an 2600+ due to the slightly lower price but i what the heck. This should completly crush my current p4 gaming machine right?

Reason i ask is because i have noticed that my friend with his 2400+/corsair and Ti4600 does not get more fps than i get with my p4 within gaming.

Btw Wiggo, is this 3200 the best memory awaible for this setup?
          :?:

Comment

Well I don't recommend the retail HSF at all (I throw them away when I get retail packs) which is why I'm a Volcano 7+ fanatic. :D

The two nForce2 systems built here so far have used Corsair's XMS3500 as both left here with the memory runnin' at 215MHz w/ 2-2-2-5-1T timings and I know that at around 210MHz is usually where ya have to start backin' off w/ XMS3200 (these speeds are very easy with this combo). :devil win

Comment

I forgot to mention that, of course i will use a volcano7+ as they are cheap and cools really well. =)

Corsair CMX256A-3500C2 XMS3500 256Mb DDR PC3500 CAS2 434MHz with Heatsink (AMD OK)
              Theese are only about 10 us$ more than the 3200 so maybe it could be woth it then if i would go and explore the darkside.

:cheers:

Comment

"Tucks tail between his legs" I just bought a 7+....we will see if it does better than the Goliath

Comment

Working...
                X