How to set up Networking???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set up Networking???

Hey all I just got a new Laptop and a Pc and I wanna connect them true the Network ok. I got 2 Lan cards 1 in each pc right and when I put the 2 pc'S ON they steeal say that they are

Local Area Connection A network cable is unpluged ????

The cable is blue!!!

I need to share files to one pc from a nother

Any help would be appreciated

Do I need to set up my IP: Adress ???? Or do I need the Red Cross Cable ??//

a) Get a crossover cable. (Not a Red Cross cable)
    b) Plug both machines in
    c) Set the IP of each computer manually. Can I suggest 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    d) Turn on file sharing if it's not already

Comment

Tahnx for a Fast reply so the blue one whant do right ????:eek:

Comment

the color dosn't matter, it's the type of cable...cat 5 comes in several colors

Comment

regular patch cable (blue) will work if you connect it to a hub/switch, etc.
          If you are connecting one NIC directly to another, (PC1----PC2)use cross over cable. Mine is gray, but it can be any color, it would depend on who makes it.
          If you are using a hub (PC1---Hub---PC2) than you CANT use crossover cable (well you can, but it depends on a hub and is not immportant), you have to use patch cable.

and like Beefy said, share your files/printers or whatever.

Comment

Readin' TT's guide to home networkin' maybe of help, http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...de&dId=178 ;)

Whats wrong with a red Cat5e crossover cable? :?:

Mine works fine for just 2 PC's or uplinkin' the 16 port 10/100 switch off the 5 port main. :confused:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

RED??? thats an angry color.
              I like cool blues and off-whites personally :) :thumb:

Comment

I only have 2 of these so I like them to stand out when in use from the blue Cat5e straights that I make here myself which have colour coded end covers on them to not only to tell their length but also which PC to look at if I have probs with the node's lights goin' out in front of me (7 atm workin' thru two KVM's in the workshop alone). But then that's my preference. :devil:

Comment

Next time in in aussie-land a trip to see that workshop is going to be in the top 5 things to do.

colour coded end covers on them to not only to tell their length but also which PC
                  Interesting concept. I will have to steal that lil tip.
                  Wait a minute that sound a lot like color coding on resistors!!!
                  Did you use the same values and use multipliers???? :D :D

Every day there is something that i seem to learn from you wiggo.
                  YOu da MaN :thumb:

Comment

Well by the time that ya get here I should be in a workshop 5 times bigger. :D

Comment

Working...
                    X