Cornfused as usual........lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornfused as usual........lol

I am having a difficult time confusing protocols with software.I guess its some kind of mental block.I was told the other day that a protocol like PPPoE could be software,or hardware.This confuses the heck out of me. I got confused because my ISP gave me no software (like Winpoet)to use for my PPPoE modem,nor does my Linksys router have anything to load when you set it to PPPoE.Coulsd someone maybe try and explain this stuff in very basic terms?.....Thanks as always.

PPPoE could be hardware or software. Software such as WinPoet, that you would install and have it be executed by your OS. It could be hardware, it's stored in the firmware of the modem or the router. Even though it's still technically software, it's in a place where you can't remove it or whatnot. Kind of "hardcoded" into whatever device. Hope that helps.

Later

Comment

Where in the world have you been?...............lol
      The hardcoded term makes sense.I was having difficulty with the hardware definition.You have always been able to answer in terms that made sense.I am still struggling to learn this stuff,but I am determined.Thanks again........:)

Comment

Working...
      X