Connecting two LANs to the same cable connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting two LANs to the same cable connection

I have 2 BEFSR41 routers. I want to create two seperate home networks (That can NOT talk to one another), that can share my single internet cable connection. I've been told this can be done, but I'm still having problems.

Here's what I've done:
    The first router's WAN port is connected to my cable modem. The second router's WAN port is connected to a regular port on the first router.

Linksys tech support told me this should work, but so far, computer connected to the second router cannot access the internet. Both routers are configured to act as DHCP servers. Can anyone give me any points here?

Thanks ahead.

Hmmm, interesting query. Without actually looking at the routers myself and knowing what they can do, I don't know how much help I can be, but I'll give it a shot.

Firstly, what have you got for IP addressing on each LAN? Your cable modem IP address will be defined by your ISP, but what about the other two? To get the routers to work properly together, you need to different subnets on each LAN. You'll also need some form of routing protocol working. I'm assuming that your routers should be able to use RIP or something like that.

As for blocking out each LAN from accessing the other, I'm not quite sure that your routers have the capability for that. On the more expensive routers, which aren't really for home / personal use, you can program them with access control lists which are used to basically filter traffic going through and stop traffic going where you don't want it to go. With the home versions of routers, they don't seem to have anywhere that you can set ACLs...

That probably didn't help much though, did it?

Comment

Nevermind, got it working. I set the WAN IP on the second router to a static address of 192.168.1.2, and then set the internal LAN address to 192.168.2.1. Seems to be working now. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X