• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• networking problems

hello all AGIN:D

well i just recently bought two new computers

and i had this roughter and heres what i want to do

i want computer#1 to be connected directly to the dsl modem and then with the second network card in computer#1 i want to connect to the roughter and then the other two computers to the roughter

I've tryed this and the closest ive come is to be able to get computer#1 online and to be able to see and shair files with computers 2 and 3

or i can get all 3 computers online but i cant network with any of them

im willing to try almsot anything to get the 3 computers to be online and connect to each other and computer #1 to be totaly in active mode or in frount of the roughter

any help would be great

Hmm, first I think you mean router

What type of router do you have? Does it have a WAN port, eg where you can hook your DSL modem straight into it?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Secondly, how is the IP addressing handled? is it via DHCP or are all the addresses static? What have you got for addresses / subnet masks / default gateways?

Comment

well as for the router i posted all that information in every post in my information

linksys etherFast cable / dsl roughter
        model # BEFSR41

as for the dsl modem it's

westbell wirespeed

I have a 1 static ip address

i dont know much else about it all

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
          PaPaPuffALot[/size]]
          well as for the router i posted all that information in every post in my information
          That only works if the other person hasn't disabled sigs in their user options. ;)

Comment

First of all, why do you want the modem hooked up directly to PC #1? These routers are designed for, and work a hell of a lot easier, when you use them to connect to your modem via the WAN port, then plug in the PC's to the 4 port switch on it. That way, you have constant access to the net no matter which computer you are on. Get the router to dish out IP addresses via DHCP and you'll be set.

With the method you've described, if PC #1 isn't on, then the others won't be able to access the internet. Perhaps this is what you want.

If you set it up the way you originally intended, then the router is basically acting as nothing more than a simple switch. To get the 2 other computers to work properly, you just need to set the default gateway on those two PC's as the IP address on your first PC (the LAN connection, not the Internet connection).

Comment

sorry i dint knwo that about the sigs

and the main reason that i want to have computer #1 in frount of the router so i can run ftp server games server and be in active mode and be able to use my web cam ect.....

and i know that my router has port forwarding and port triggering and i have it set up correctly but after about 5-10 min i get no internet from computer#1 and it does not show up on the network at all

someone sent me this file to do as im asking but i cant get that to work 100% eather

if anyone can help me with this that would be great

Comment

have you tried setting PC1 as the DMZ default?

Comment

yes ive tryed that any other suggestions???

Im willing to try just about anything

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Comment

Working...
                  X