use old wireless modem router as a access point NOT wireless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• use old wireless modem router as a access point NOT wireless

Basically I have a new cable modem, that works fine in my back office. I need several computers in another room to be able to connect. I have a ethernet cable to the other room. I have an old D-Link ADSL wireless router. model DSL-G604T

I want to connect the computers using cables and the LAN ports on that old D-Link router. I do not want to use the wireless or obviously the ADSL modem part.
    How do I set up the router to achieve this?

I read the article on TweakTown Using an old router as a DIY wireless Access Point - Setting up the old wireless router :: TweakTown USA Edition
    but it referred to using an old router as a wireless extension.

I thought not using wireless I would NOT need to setup static IP's for my computers. A dumb hub would not need them? Can I make the router a dumb hub?

thanks Mark

Re: use old wireless modem router as a access point NOT wireless

well it seems as long as you turn DHCP off in the old router, turn wireless off and give it a fixed ip address that does not conflict with the main one you are good to go.
    all 3 PC's are connecting using DHCP via old router to new one.

well all are showing network connection and connecting to the internet. still have some issues seeing shared folders from one. getting close though.

Comment

Re: use old wireless modem router as a access point NOT wireless

I googled about things to do with an old working PC and one was using it as a router/firewall using some free software. One I just found is called RouterOS and ZeroShell Found here ->
      Turn Your Old PC into an Access Point
      BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

Working...
      X