ohhhhhhhhhh crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ohhhhhhhhhh crap

Firstly, make sure it's no one locally playing a joke on you.
    Secondly, what were they typing? :)
    Thirdly, with your router have you got any sort of port forwarding set up?
    Fourthly, what it actually sounds like is a trojan. There's a couple free trojan scanners out and about that can scan your system for you.

<a href="http://www.moosoft.com/thecleaner/download.php" target="_blank">The Cleaner</a> is a good utility to use for checking for trojans...

Let us know how you go

Comment

Fithly, get, install, use, and thoroughly understand a good firewall.

Run it always.

Comment

actually zeradul, he's got a good start already by using the Netgear router that he has. With basic NAT functionality, he can stop a lot of stuff getting through. And with port forwarding, he can easily block ports that he needs to.

Assuming it is all set up, of course. :)

Comment

I guess I missed the rt in his netgear model. Doh. Yes, a router is good, but until you figure out whats going on, a firewall can tell you alot.

Comment

Back Orifice maybe? Some information here:

Comment

I was thinking that.... unless Netbus is still doing the rounds... guess we'll have to wait and see

Comment

News update. Scanned with "The cleaner" and nothing. Did another norton anti-virus scan and still nothing. Now i'm really stuck on how to identify this? And I know it's not local because I know my parents or brother have no idea on how to do something like this because they can barley surf the internet as it is.

Also, I have not set up port forwarding with my router. I couldn't find any easy to understand netgear instructions on how to do that. And for those of you tat were wondering, I was trying to make a post here when someone started typing something like: "EOE and is tough a" some jibber jabish for all i can tell. I pulled the cord before that had a chance to do anything.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

you dont happen to have a wireless keyboard?

Comment

Nope no wireless keyboard. It's a laptop so i'm using the built in keyboard rather than an external one.

Comment

Usually trojens will go through ports already open. It'll find any open hole available. I say get yourself a software firewall for now. Cause once they get through the router firewall its now rendered useless. With a software firewall it'll tell you every time there is access from a certain IP on what port it was from you basically grant it or deny it acess or not. There fore when the person wants to "play" with you......you will know right when it happens and will be able to stop it. My brother had similiar problems. He was posting in an xbox forum when some words like "Latest on CNN antrax attacks blow blay blah" I immediatly recognized it as a trojen and sure enough it was sub7.

Comment

Alright i'll get a software firewall for now. Any recommendations of whihc one is the best? Black Ice, Norton, Macafee? Anyone have any good sites on how fully utilize this router besides netgears web site (not that helpful)? Thanks, ths site sooooooooooo rocks:cheers:

Comment

ZoneAlarm, the free version at the bottom of the page I find enough for my purposes. ;)
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Free is always good:D I'll give it a spin and hope that works. Thanks:)

Comment

Zone Alarm is the best firewall I've seen, whether it be free or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X