CANNOT get Intel 5300 mini PCI-E WIFI to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CANNOT get Intel 5300 mini PCI-E WIFI to work

I have an Acer 11.6" Aspire One AO751H netbook. I want to upgrade the wireless-G to N. This model takes the half size mini pci-e cards. I just recently purchased the Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300 card. Installed it yesterday, booted the computer, and so far so good. It recognized the card right away and the driver installation was successful. The wifi activity light works, the card is recognized, but it is unable to detect any networks. It just flashes that little balloon at the bottom saying "wireless networks unavailable". Try to refresh the network list, and i still get nothing. I tried turning the card off, then on again, but nothing. I checked on the driver in Device Manager, and it says it is functioning properly.

I have the most up-to-date BIOS and I am running 32-bit XP Pro (downgraded from the factory installed VISTA). I was wondering if maybe there was an issue with the antennas? The 5300 card has 3 antenna inputs, but the laptop only has two antennas. I was told it would still function fine with only two antennas however. I obtained the most up-to-date driver for the card right from intel's website and it installed without any issues at all. Does anyone have any input on to why this card seems to have installed fine, but cannot detect wireless networks? Should I try an older driver? I know many people have upgraded the wifi in this Aspire Ones, so I can't see it simply being incompatible.
    Last edited by Wheely34; 11-20-2009, 01:40 PM.
    Antec 900 (Custom Metallic Red Paint)
    Antec 850W PSU
    Q6600 Kentsfield G0 OCed to 3.2GHz
    Ultra 120 Extreme Heatsink
    Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    WD 150GB 10,000RPM VelociRaptor HD
    WD 80GB SATA HD
    4GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz (4-4-4-12)
    ATI HD4850
    Creative SB Audigy 2
    Dualing Windows 7 + XP x64

Re: CANNOT get Intel 5300 mini PCI-E WIFI to work

Yes, sounds like antenna issues to me. They should work with only two, but you are better off putting in three.

When using two you have to be sure you connect them to the correct places, did you read up on this? I can't remember which two, but I know it will not function properly if you put them in the wrong places. So you may need to try moving them around to the other connects

Comment

well i thought it was input 1 and 2 that was supposed to be used. Pretty sure I ready that. But, I do not know which antenna goes to which input. I guess I could just do a trial and error process.

But, it does sound like an antenna issue correct? If it was any other issue, I would think it wouldnt have installed correctly, or the card wouldnt have been recognized, etc....
      Antec 850W PSU
      Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
      WD 80GB SATA HD
      ATI HD4850
      Creative SB Audigy 2

Comment

Yes, I have. I'm going to post some pictures so everyone gets a better idea of what's going on:

It is unable to recognize any networks, but the card is enabled and "on", and the radio is functioning, it just cannot detect networks.

This is the old card. It has an "AUX" (Auxilary) and a "MAIN" input. The black wire went to the MAIN, and the white went to the AUX.

This is what the new card looks like in the unit. The intel 5300 has three inputs. I have tried many different configurations with the wires and none have worked.

The computer POSTs fine when booting up. I really think this has something to do with the antennas, but there is no literature or anything around that explains anything about antennas and if the card actually can function with just two. The only thing I can think of is to call Intel, but I know that will prove fruitless...
        Antec 850W PSU
        Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
        WD 80GB SATA HD
        ATI HD4850
        Creative SB Audigy 2

Comment

Well If you tried 1+3 and 1+2 or 2+3 and have had no luck then it must be either incompatible or faulty somehow. I know there is no specific antennea needed and you can use any type on any type card.

Some cards though, may need all three to function, this I am not sure of. I can show you some cheap ones on ebay if you like so you could test that in case you can't find a third one to test with

Comment

Well, I don't have a problem installing a third antenna if the card requires it...I'm just almost positive this card does not require it in order to actually work.

The problem I am having is I have the new Aspire One (AO751), which has a different chipset then the 1.6ghz 150 model. There seems to be a ton of upgrading going on with the other, smaller model, but I really cannot find anything on the AO751h, so I just can't be sure if it is an incompatibility or a faulty card.

What is different today, which has not happened at all until now, is that the card is failing to power on. I went into device manage and I am now getting an error message similar to this:

"Device unable to start: Code 10"

It doesn't read exactly like that, but I am not near the machine to actually read it word-for-word. I am going to go look up that code now and see if I can dig up any more info. Does anyone have any knowledge of the code 10 error message? It seems that error has been pretty prevalent in regards to this card, on google
            Antec 850W PSU
            Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
            WD 80GB SATA HD
            ATI HD4850
            Creative SB Audigy 2

Comment

Well some of them do, and some do not require it. Have you asked Intel directly if this particular card does have to have three?

I would start there, or pickup a third antenna and test.

Unable to start can mean faulty, or it isn't fully seated. Try re-seating it and see if it then will start again as before.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                Well some of them do, and some do not require it. Have you asked Intel directly if this particular card does have to have three?

I would start there, or pickup a third antenna and test.

Unable to start can mean faulty, or it isn't fully seated. Try re-seating it and see if it then will start again as before.
                Hello, I'm new in this forum and read this post... I' m sorry for bad english but I've to ask if this Wi-Fi card in good for my samsung NC10 netbbok.
                I've just now ordered and I'll hope that all be good.
                Know You how I have to sit it in my net?
                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X