Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cant connect a desktop and a laptop!help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant connect a desktop and a laptop!help!

Hi guys!umm i have a networking problem please help me!umm see i have a desktop and a laptop well i was wondering how can i connect both of them?well whenever i access the laptop from the desktop it says theres an error in the networking path it says i dont have the permisions.any idea how can i fix this?i was wondering maybe it is because of the laptop is in Vista and i dont know how to change the workgroup in vista.any ideas on how to do this?please help me.

Re: cant connect a desktop and a laptop!help!

Well yes. The both machines need to be in the same workgroup.

To change the workgroup in Vista - > Start--> Right click on "My Computer"-- >Properties--> Where is shows what workgroup the machine is , click "Change Settings"--> Click "Change"--> Enter the workgroup you want it to be in...

Hope this helps.

Comment

How are you connecting the computers? Direct connect or through a hub or switch? If you have a switch, then you need only ensure they are in the same workgroup as shown above. If they are connected directly to each other, then IIRC you need to use a crossover cable and not a standard networking cable.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Hi thanks for the replies!well i connected them through a switch and i even changed the workgroup of the laptop,but it still doesnt work whenever i try to access laptop through the desktop it says network path not found any ideas on how to fix this?

Comment

Once they are in the same work group, make sure they can "see" each other via pinging

Comment

umm i tried letting them ping each other,well the laptop can ping the desktop but the desktop cant ping the laptop and after a few tries the laptop and the desktop disappears from the "Network"folder any ideas wats the source of the problem?

Comment

Is network Discovery on the laptop turned on?

Comment

umm yeah its on.strange eh?hmm thats why i was wondering how come its not working?could there be something wrong with my modem?

Comment

umm its still says "network path not found"

Comment

Working...
                  X