Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linksys modem loosing connection REPEATEDLY.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys modem loosing connection REPEATEDLY.

Seems to go in spurts. Weeks fine, then days of constant recycling itself. Linksys Ethernet/USB cable modem with charter ISP. Trying to figure it out if its a bad modem or cable itself before buying a new modem or calling charter (which can be like pulling teeth).

Re: Linksys modem loosing connection REPEATEDLY.

Do you have anybody you know on the same service to see if they may be also experiencing problems?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Yep was on the phone with a friend (same modem, same ISP, different city) and we watched the modems recycling themselves simutaneously. For an hour they recycled about 15 times at the same time. Looks like a fun phone call to Charter.

Comment

Yep, must be the ISP. This reminds me of that company in Cali that kept shutting off the power to consumers, I forget the name.

Comment

Called Charter. THeir CSR "tech" kept trying to upsell me digital cable and their phone system.

TO Charter - I'm trying to get a problem fixed thats on YOUR end, not calling to hear sales pitches. BTW next time patch me through to someone who KNOWS what they are doing and not reading off CSR cards. WHY do you think that unplugging the modem and router magically fixes everything? I tried that BEFORE calling you people. If someone calls you with a problem and its not up on your service problem area list, maybe you want to check in on it.

On a side note, I stopped into the local branch to talk with them IN PERSON. Got a guy coming out friday to look at the lines. This should be fun.

Comment

I've found that if you get a guy who knows what is going on, things usually work out well and go smoothly. If, on the other hand, you get a guy who THINKS he knows what is going on, you'll find yourself in for a long day.

Good luck!
            My Toys

Comment

Guy came out. Replaced a few connectors on the splitters and tested my setup. Its fine here.

Still doing it. Really sick and tired of this. I have pictures coming in to edit for a friend who is starting to take wedding pics and doesnt have a pc like my main rig nor the programs to do high level editing. Sucks having an 8mb photo get dropped when getting my mail.

Comment

Do you know anyone who has a non-USB cable modem? I haven't heard many good things about these things, so it may be the cause of your problems. Otherwise it may be time to look for another provider.
                My Toys

Comment

I would look for another ISP also, or complain more!

Comment

Well found out that charter updated their system to require docsis 2.0. Everyone with the linksys modem like i have (version 2) is having this problem. Friend got a version 4 of it and his works fine now. He has 2 coworkers who are going through this issue. Just ticks me off when they do this and NOT at least tell people. Funny thing is there was a run on cable modems within the past 2 weeks and most stores are out of them for a bit.

BTW just to prove how inept Charter techs are, the second one who came out put a splitter inline on my modem line "to lower the Q" to an acceptable charter level. Then he started badmouthing the tech that was here before. He also claimed linux wont work on Charter.

As for another ISP, well kinda screwed here. 1 cable company, 1 DSL and a bunch of dialups that are just plain pathetic.

Comment

Working...
                    X