Tcp/ip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tcp/ip

I was just wondering, I remember seeing a thread a while ago in another website about manually setting your TCP/IP properties being better than having them set to automatic.

Is there really a benefit in disabling DHCP in your router and manually configuring your TCP/IP settings?

~ Zach

Re: Tcp/ip

I'm not a big networking guru so I can't really make an opinion, but I usually head over to dslreports.com for information on this sort of thing. This page has a small java based testing applet that can make some recommendations to you after it finishes looking at your networking settings.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

If you run a home network with multiple computers it would ensure they constantly have the same IPs, which could conceivably allow you to access them faster in certain applications. For a typical home network, though, turning off DHCP and using manual IPs will cause problems at best.

As far as actual network performance goes, DHCP will affect neither your latency nor your bandwidth.

Comment

Originally posted by [Eva].PacMan
        I was just wondering, I remember seeing a thread a while ago in another website about manually setting your TCP/IP properties being better than having them set to automatic.

Is there really a benefit in disabling DHCP in your router and manually configuring your TCP/IP settings?

~ Zach
        I have DHCP disabled for my database server. That always has to come up with the samp IP address or the clients can't connect to it.

Same with the network printer - that needs a fixed IP address too.

But all my client nodes are using DHCP

Comment

Working...
        X