Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing Limiting Download to ~30kbps

Hi.

As you can see from my subject, my router is limiting my downloads to 30kbps. This is true for all types of downloads, HTTP and P2P.

Before I had my router installed, my download speed averaged 140kbps.

As you can see, this is a huge drop in speed. This has happened before, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to fix this.

I have the new WRTP54G LinkSys/Volp router(which I found out too late was a piece of crap), and a Motorola DSL modem.

When I searched the Internet, I found that other people had this same problem, but I couldn't find a solution.

Does anyone know how to fix this, or at least make it better?

Thanks

Re: Routing Limiting Download to ~30kbps

It looks like you've checked around on it well enough. If you've not found a fix for it, it could just mean the router is bad, period. What I always like to do (learned this from years of troubleshooting electrical problems in houses) is narrow down the problem - try a different modem/router, different connections, software, drivers, etc. Make sure it's specifically the modem. Then try calling/e-mailing LinkSys and explain it's a problem that others have been having also. Besides that, your only option that I would know of is to purchase a new one (sucky option, I know). Maybe the rest of these guys know a few tricks with the problem you're having.

Comment

So a download from a web site will only go at around 30 kbps with the router, but the exact same file will go much faster without the router? Depending on the P2P network, the limitation you're seeing is easily caused by the fact that you can no longer accept incoming connections. Most P2P apps require the ability to accept incoming connections on a certain port, which is blocked by the use of any sort of router. In order to fix this, you'll need to forward the appropriate port to the computer's local IP address.

Also, are we talking 30 kbps, or 30 KB/s? The difference between kilobits and kilobytes is huge, and a 140kbps connection is slow for almost any connection. A 30kbps connection would be extremely difficult to browse the web with.

Comment

I guess I should have been more detailed in my original post.

I forwarded about 5000 ports for the p2p network. That's waaaay too much I know, but moving on.

The download is capped at 30KB/s across the board. No matter what it is, 30KB/s is the limit, upload and download.

I also did a speed test at dslreports.com/speedtest. I used 2 different testing facilities, and they both came back to me with a 30KB/s upload/download.

Should I just call LinkSys and ask them? I'll probably call them tomorrow, or saturday. Saturday most likely.

Thanks for the help, hoping someone can tell me how to fix it.

Later.

Comment

I'd definitely call Linksys. If they can't fix it, demand a return from either Linksys or the vendor.

Comment

Working...
          X