Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie home wireless setup?

hello,

i recently received a laptop to use for a while and i would like to set it up on the internet with my desktop.

i was wondering what the best hardware is to use for an access point? i would like to share internet as well as swap files between the two and be able to send files to be printed on my printer which is connected to my desktop.

the notebook is of Centrino type which already has wi-fi. for the desktop, which type of hardware is best for a wireless solution? (USB or PCI). the desktop resides in my basement and the laptop would be 75 feet away from the desktop at the oposite end and upsatirs in my house. my cable internet connection comes into my house in the basement as well. (approx 40-50 ft away)

i think i should go for hardware that supports WPA or WPA2. i have also read for extra security the hardware should support network closing or SSID blocking?

my curent desktop runs on WinXP pro SP2 it is an AMD 64 2800+, 1.5Gb ddr ram. the laptop is an Acer travel mate 4001WLMi with XP pro: http://www.acer.ca/acerpanam/page4.d...crc=2402741098

i have already looked at a dlink router http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DI-624 . i have not purchased anything yet as i want to know if there is anything else i should knowbefore i dive in.

thanks for suggestions/comments

Re: newbie home wireless setup?

Basically any wireless router will be fine and don't worry too much about security too much because it can be broken in about 24 hours if someone really wants to get in

The router you suggested will be fine but keep in mind you'll only get a maximum connection speed of 54mbp/s because the notebook only supports that so if you can find a cheaper one with 54mbp/s it will do you just fine

For security, just enable MAC address filtering - that is as good as anything, I reckon and you could enable WEP if you wanted to but I don't even bother with it

As far as connectivity goes you won't need any seperate atennas, as long as your house is not made of solid sement, it can pass up stairs through walls easily
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

thanks Mr. tweak.

what would you suggest for wireless hardware for my desktop?

if i were to upgrade to a high end notebook later on, would the 108 Mbs router be better?

what is VPN for security?

thanks!

Comment

What specific router you get would depend on your location due to price variations... What country are you in?

For desktop wireless, you'll want a PCI card with a cord from the card going to the antenna. A PCI card with the antenna directly on the card is more likely to have an unreliable signal strength. The same applies with a USB device, though I'd rather have a USB device with a cord than a PCI device without one.

If you want to use the 108 mbps wireless, the notebook you would get would need a seperate device because Centrino doesn't support the 108mbps feature. That's not a major problem, though. If it's worth the extra money to you, a 108mbps router would be good.

For security, I'd suggest you follow the instructions here. At the very least, you'll want MAC filtering.

Comment

i am from canada.

if i were to get another notebook, it would be something like an Alienware system. not a centrino chipset.

do they make USB adapters with a corded antenna?

thanks for the link. i'll check it out

Comment

I haven't seen any USB adapters with a cord
            Managing Director
            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

i bought the d-link router. it had a pic on "how it works" and i can have my desktop run through a wire and only use the laptop as a wireless pc.

since i use the desktop the most, it would be more secure wired and then use the laptop for convience when i am in bed or have something on the go upstairs :) no need for a pci or usb wireless adapter

Comment

Originally posted by mcgirkz
                i bought the d-link router. it had a pic on "how it works" and i can have my desktop run through a wire and only use the laptop as a wireless pc.

since i use the desktop the most, it would be more secure wired and then use the laptop for convience when i am in bed or have something on the go upstairs :) no need for a pci or usb wireless adapter
                Yep, that is most ideal
                Managing Director
                Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by mcgirkz
                  do they make USB adapters with a corded antenna?
                  No, but they can come with (or you can buy) USB extension cords, which allow you to do essentially the same thing, which is adjust the location of where tha adaptar recieves the signal.

Comment

thanks for all your help guys.

hopefully the more i read about networking, the more i will learn

Comment

Working...
                    X